Chapter 89

Hunter's POV

As I sit watching Liddy hold Harper, while she falls back asleep. I'm reminded yet again what an amazing woman Lid is. She has to be one of the most loving people I have ever met. The way Harper looks at her melts my heart. She doesn't even look at her own mother that way. I can tell she trusts Liddy and feels safe with her. The fact that she asked Liddy to hold her when she's sick, only proves my point.

Harper hasn't asked for Renee once tonight. She did however, inquire about Liddy multiply times. That is the main reason I went to her apartment. Yes, I needed a thermometer, but that was secondary. I could tell Harper's fever wasn't that high. I just knew if Liddy was aware that Renee wasn't here and that Harper was running a fever, she wouldn't be able to help herself. I knew she would eventually come over and I was correct. I couldn't be happier. I've missed her so very much. 

God, I hate myself. I still can't believe how stupid I was to mess everything up with Liddy? I don't love Renee, not like I love her. I'm in love with Lid. I have been since the moment I saw Harper in her arms for the very first time. But somehow I couldn't shake this crazy notion that I had let Harper down by not giving her a normal childhood with only 2 parents living in the same house. So when Renee told me she still loved me, I began to wonder what if.

Even though I was curious, I never would have left Liddy for Renee. I love her too much. It wasn't until she broke our engagement that I realized how much I hurt her and that she didn't trust me anymore. I know she said she'd take me back, but I also know that it would never be the same. I've let her down too many times. She deserves someone better than me, someone who won't make her cry. Someone she can trust.

Knowing I can never get her back kills me. It's a pain I will live with for the rest of my life. But I can't let Harper suffer for my mistakes. I have to find a way to keep Liddy from moving. Harper needs her in her life. If it can't be as her step mother than it at least has to be as her nanny. I'm not going to let her go. I can't.

When I hear Lid's voice it pulls me from my thoughts. "Is something wrong?"

"Not at all. I was just watching how Harper clings to you. She feels safe in your arms. She loves you very much."

"I know that. I love her, too."

"Then tell me. How can you move away and leave her?"

I note the confusion in her eyes. "What? How did you know?"

"My mom never admitted to it, so don't blame her."

"Okay,"

"She just warned me to expect it to happen at some point because I didn't give you any other choice."

She laughs, but I can tell it's fake. "You can certainly say that."

"But why? Can't you see how much Harper needs you? You're all she's asked for, all night."

"Hunter, please stop."

"Stop what?"

"Stop making this harder than it already is."

"I'm not trying to make it harder, I'm just stating the facts. Harper loves you and needs you in her life."

I wonder if she's even aware of it, but she covers Harper's ear before speaking. " I know she loves me, but as far as needing me in her life, that has changed. She has her mother, now."

"But she hasn't bonded with Renee, not like she has with you."

"That will change with time." I can see tears in her eyes. "It will happen sooner than you think."