Chapter 58

Liddy's POV

"Okay ladies listen up. First off I would like to thank all of you for volunteering to participate in this year's dance auction. Hopefully, it will help us raise lots of money for the St Jude's research fund."

"The rules are simple. You will walk out in groups of 10 and stand on the stage. All the people who wish to participate in the auction have signed up for a number that they will use when they text in the name of the lady they wish to bid on and the amount of their bid."

"A tally will show up on a screen behind each of you. The person who offers the highest bid for you, at the end of 5 minutes wins the dance. Then it is up to the bidder to identify who they are. Once that is done you are expected to accompany them to the other room where a band will be playing so you can have your dance."

"Is there any questions?" The MC asks.

"I just want to be sure I understand. We will have no idea who is voting for us?" A lady about Liz's age asks.

"You are correct, it is going to be a surprise. So if you are expecting one specific person to win the dance with you then I hope you told them to keep bidding till the very end." He chuckles. "Do we have any more concerns? If not I would like to get started."

When no one raises their hands, he begins by counting off and telling us which round we will be in. Liz, Lynette, Stephanie, Melissa, and I are in round 5. Where as Jessica, Devo's wife, Justin's girlfriend and Kelly are in round 7.

I try to avoid eye contact with Kelly because I have no desire to talk to her. Although I do wish I knew if she had told Hunter about the baby yet.

"Can you feel Kelly staring daggers at you?" Liz whispers.

"No, but I figured she would be. I just pray she doesn't make a scene."

"Me too." She sighs before walking over to talk with Hunter's mother. "So Lynette, do you have any idea how much money they hope to raise with this dance auction?"

"We aren't sure since this is the first year trying it, but we're hoping for at least  150 thousand dollars."

Liz and I both look at each other in awe. "Wow, that's a lot of money."

"It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't when it comes to the cost of research. I personally hope we make a lot more. Which we might be able to do, since there are many affluent people attending this year."

"Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful!" Is all Liz can say before Kelly rudely interrupts us.

"Lynette, It's so good to see you." She says before wrapping her in a hug.

"It's good to see you too, Kelly."

"How's Leo doing?"

"He's fine. Staying busy as usual."

"I bet he is. I have no doubt that is where Hunter gets his strong work ethic from."

"You are probably right, either from Leo or Leo's dad. They are both workaholics." Lynette then looks towards the stage area. "Oh, um, I just remembered, I need to ask the MC something, so if you will excuse me? It was good to see you again, Kelly and by the way, you look lovely."

Once Lynette is out of earshot, she turns and glares at me. "I'm glad she left. Now, I can talk to you alone. I just want you to know that Hunter and I have talked and he is thrilled about our baby. He can't wait for me to move in so we can start getting ready for our family. So I suggest that you begin looking for a new job tomorrow. Because once I'm living with him, we'll have no need for your services."