Chapter 81

Liddy's POV

"Oh My God Lid, what's wrong?" Liz asks as she pulls me through her open front door and into her arms.

"I ah... I ah ...I broke my engagement with Hhhhunter." I say as I cry uncontrollably on her shoulder.

"You did what?'

"I ggggave him back his rrrring."

"Oh honey. It's going to be okay." She says as she rubs my back. "Here come sit on the couch and tell me what happened."

"Bbbbbut what about Joe and the kids? Are they hhhere?"

"No, they aren't. Abby stayed over at a friend's house last night and she isn't back yet and Joe took Austin to the mall to buy him some new sneakers. No one will be home for a while. She assures me as she walks over and grabs a box of tissues. "Here you go."

"Thanks."

"So what's going on? When I left a few hours ago you had plans to talk with Hunter."

"I thought I did, too, but when I went to his house and over heard him making plans to meet Harper and Renee at the park, in an hour, I just lost it."

"Are you sure that's what he was doing?"

"Yes, I'm positive." I pause to wipe my tears. "I was actually feeling better about him and I, after you and I talked, so I left a few minutes early to see him. When I walked into his house, he was talking with Harper. He didn't even hear me, but I could hear their conversation."

"And?"

"And when he was done setting everything up with Renee, he hung up. Then he turned around and saw me standing there. He looked just as guilty as he did last night."

"So what did you say to him?"

"Not much. There wasn't a lot I could say. I was hurting so bad. I just wanted to get out of there." I begin to cry again. "So I told him I didn't want to make him late for the park and then I threw my engagement ring at him.

"Oh honey, why did you do that? You promised me you wouldn't do anything drastic."

"Bbbb because it's obvious that he would rather spend time with his "ex wife" than try to work our problems out, with me."

"You don't know that for certain. He may...."

"Liz, he could have taken Harper to the park by himself or better yet he could have invited me, but he chose neither of those options. Instead he asked Renee to meet him at the park with Harps. Do you know how much that hurts me?"

She leans over and holds me as I sob for what feels like hours. When there are no more tears to shed I sit up. " I ah, I ah, I don't know what's happened to us, but we aren't best friends any more. I don't even know him. He tells me he loves me, but his actions prove just the opposite."

"What did he say when you gave him back his ring?"

"I'm not sure. I just threw it at him and ran straight to my car and drove here."

"Has he tried calling you?"

"Yes, but I've ignored them. Just like he ignored all my calls last night."

"Don't you think you owe it to Hunter to let him explain?'

I thought I did this morning, but now I'm not so sure."

________________________________

Hunter's POV

"Come on Liddy, answer your phone!" I mutter to myself as I stare at her diamond engagement ring lying in my hand.