Chapter 54

Liddy's POV

My visit with my folks went well. I helped them clean the garage, a project they had been dreading. We checked out a few new restaurants and we painted their office. I was busy, so I didn't have a lot of time to think about Hunter, which was a blessing.

I managed to reconnect with my friend Shelly while I was there. She hasn't changed a bit. She's just as fun loving as she was in high school. I invited her to come visit me in Nashville. I hope she does because I would love to introduce her to Ryan. I think they would be perfect for each other.

Speaking of Ryan, we talked a few times this past week so he knows all about Kelly being pregnant. He was as surprised as I was. I know I probably shouldn't have told him, but I couldn't help it. I needed a man's opinion and I certainly wasn't going to ask my dad.

Currently, I've just landed back in Nashville. Ryan convinced me to come home early and spend New Year's Eve with him. I was tentative at first to accept his invitation because I didn't want to lead him on. But he assured me, he knows that all we ever will ever be is friends and he is okay with that.

Once my plane pulls up to the gate I text Ryan.

L: On the ground, should be at baggage claims in about 10 mins.

He immediately texts me back.

R: I'm already here. See you soon.

I can't help but smile. He really is a very good friend. Earlier today when we were talking on the phone he mentioned he wanted to discuss something with me in person. I'm a bit curious as to what it is. Fortunately, I don't have to wait long to find out, since I spot him across the room. I wave and he waves back as he walks over to help me claim my luggage.

"Hey, how was your flight?" He asks.

"It was good. There was no turbulence and the people I sat next to weren't very chatty."

"That's good. I hate sitting next to talkative people, that's probably because all I want to do is sleep."

"Oh, you're one of those people." I say while rolling my eyes.

"I guess I am." Then we look at each other and start laughing.

"Were you waiting long?" I ask.

"No, maybe 15 minutes. So what color is your luggage?"

"It's that one, navy with a pink ribbon on it." I say as I point to it on the conveyor belt.

Being the gentleman that he is, Ryan grabs my bag and insists on carrying it to his car. "So where do you want to go to lunch?"

"Ryan, you don't need to take me to lunch. Just picking me up at the airport is enough."

"I want to. I have a few things I want to discuss with you. So please, pick a place."

"Okay, how about Marche's?"

"Great choice, I love that place." He says. '"Now, follow me. My car is this way."

______________________________

Hunter's POV

"Thanks mom for watching Harper for me. Hope you behaved?"

"You are welcome. She was fine most of the time. The only trouble she gave me was when I went to put her down for a nap. She wanted Liddy to do it."

"I'm sorry about that. She just really misses her. We both do."

"Any idea when she is coming back?" My mom asks.

"No. She is being very vague and distant with me. I got her to skye with me once and it was only because I couldn't get Harper to stop crying because she wanted Liddy to read her a book. I've gotten the occasional texts, but mostly replies to mine."