Chapter 84

Hunter's POV

I spent all night contemplating everything Liddy had to say regarding my feelings for Renee. I hate to admit it, but I think she's right. I think I do still care for Renee. It's the only thing that explains my behavior these last few weeks. I can't believe some of the things I have done. I've hurt Liddy so badly. I don't blame her for breaking our engagement.

When I hear the doorbell, I'm pulled from my thoughts. I reluctantly leave my coffee cup sitting on the kitchen table and go to answer it. I wonder who it could be? It's Sunday morning I wasn't expecting anyone.

"Good morning."

"Mom, Dad what are you doing here?"

"We just came from church and thought we would stop by to see if you, Liddy and Harper wanted to go out for a late breakfast?" Mom asks cheerfully.

I step back and invite them inside. I look like hell. I wonder how long it will take them to deduce something's wrong? When they ask, how much do I want to tell them? "Thanks for the invite, but I'm going to pass. I'm not feeling very well and Liddy and Harper aren't here.

"I noticed you're not looking so great. What's up?" Dad asks.

"I haven't been able to sleep, the last few nights."

"Where's Liddy and Harper? My mom asks suspiciously.

"Harper's with Renee and Liddy, ah uhm she's with her sister."

She immediately looks at my dad and they shake their heads ever so slightly. It's as if they can read each other's minds. "So why is Harper with Renee? I thought she was there last weekend?"

"She was, dad but since Renee doesn't have to start another acting job for another month, she has been asking to spend more time with Harps."

"How's Harper feel about that?"

"She seems to be doing okay. Renee has really been making an effort this time to make Harps a priority."

"Oh really?" He looks skeptical.

"So what's Liddy and Liz doing? Wedding stuff, I assume?"

"Yeah, something like that." I hate to lie to my mother, but I'm not sure if I can tell them we have broken up. Not yet, especially since it's all my fault. "Would either of you like some coffee? I just brewed it."

"I'm fine. What about you, Leo?"

"No thanks." He says as he scratches Cole's ears then glances over at my mom. When she nods her head he clears his throat. "You know what Cole? I think you and I should go for a walk. Is that okay, son?"

"Ah yay, it's fine. His leash is...."

"In the front hall closet. I remember. See you guys later." He says as he leads Cole into the Living Room then out the front door.

"So, what's going on? Why haven't you been sleeping well?"

Wow, that didn't take very long for her to step into the mom mode. "I've had a lot on my mind."

She just gives me that look. The one that says she knows I'm lying. "So what's the real reason Liddy isn't here?"

"I told you she's with Liz."

"Okay, well obviously you don't want to talk about it. I won't push. I just thought you might like to discuss it. Sometimes it helps. You know you can tell me anything. I'm not going to judge you."

I take a seat next to her at the table. "I know, it's just..." I have to pause to fight back the tears. "It's just that I've messed up so bad. I'm so embarrassed."