Chapter 27

Thanksgiving Day

Liddy's POV

"Dinner was so delicious, Liz."

"Thanks Liddy, but remember you helped make half of it."

"I did didn't I. No wonder is was so awesome." We look at each other and start laughing.

"Hey, I made the desserts. Give me some credit." My stepmom, Jan says.

"But we haven't eaten dessert yet so you can't get credit until we taste it. Isn't that right Liz?"

"Absolutely. You know the rule. We can't praise it, till me taste it." At that silly comment we all start giggling again.

"Okay, all this talk about dessert has reminded me that my beautiful wife made her delicious peanut butter pie. So when is dessert going to be served?" My dad asks.

"Right now." I say as Jan, Liz and I head into the kitchen to get Jan's 3 awesome pies: Pumpkin, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Custard. When I see the pumpkin pie, I immediately think of Hunter and how he calls Harper, Punkin. I wonder where that nickname came from. I need to try to remember to ask him.

"So Liddy, how are you doing since the break up? I've been worried about you. Jan asks as she pulls the whipping cream out of the refrigerator.

"Honestly Jan, I am doing better than I thought I would be. Craig and I wanted different things out of life and I knew it for a long time. I just hoped some how we could meet in the middle, but sadly we couldn't." I say while I plug in the mixer, to make the whipped cream. "Working for Hunter and taking care of Harper have kept me very busy. That has helped a lot." I say with a big goofy smile on my face.

While I am whipping the cream I can see Liz and Jan across the kitchen talking, but I can't hear them over the sound of the mixer. "I am ready for the sugar."

"I have it right here." Liz says as she walks over and adds the sugar to the cream. "Oh, by the way, Jan has figured out you have feelings for Hunter."

I'm shocked. "You told her?"

"No, it's Jan. She figured it out. You know how observant she is. We never got away with anything growing up."

"How did she figure it out?"

"It was easy, Liddy." I hear Jan's voice coming from behind me, so I turn slightly so I can see her. "Your eyes sparkle whenever you mention his name and you just have that "I am in love" look written all over your face."

I blush. "Please don't say anything to dad, yet. I just realized how I felt a few days ago. I'm not even sure if Hunter feels the same way about me."

"Trust me he does." Liz says. "It shows on his face, too."

""I won't say anything to your dad, right now. I promise. But if he figures it out on his own you can't blame me. Okay?"

"Okay." I say as I stick my finger in the whipped cream to test it. "Yum, whipped cream is ready."

"Hey Lid, I hope everything works out with you and Hunter. Even though I haven't met him Liz says he's a great guy. He has to be pretty incredible to put that extra special smile on your face. I don't think I have ever seen you this happy." She grins and kisses my cheek.

"You know I love you. You are the best stepmom in the whole world." I say as I wrap her in a hug.

"I know you love me. I hope you both know how much I love you, girls? You are such a blessing in my life, I am so thankful to be your stepmother." We each shake our head and walk into Jan's extends arms for a group hug.