Chapter 85

Lynette's POV

"Thank you so much for watching Harper. I can't thank you enough!" Liddy says as she gives me a brief hug.

"It was our pleasure. I haven't seen much of my granddaughter since ah uhm."

"It's okay, you can say it, since Hunter started seeing Renee again."

"I'm sorry. I know it's none of my business, but I want you to know that both Leo and I love you and we are still praying that Hunter comes to his senses."

She smiles. "Thank you Lynette, but we both know that Hunter has made up his mind. He's just too afraid to tell me."

"Well, if he has then he needs to man up. You deserve to know one way or the other. You are too special to be waiting on a man, even if it is my son. You should be out trying to meet someone new."

"I think it's far too soon for that." She says with tears in her eyes.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. I seem to keep putting my foot in my mouth today."

"It's okay." She assures me with a light squeeze of my hand. "I won't be around much longer. Then he won't have to worry about telling me."

"Wwwhat do you mean, dear?"

"I should have told you sooner, but I just interviewed for another nanny position."

"Yyyou did. How did it go?"

"Very well. They said they really liked me and told me to expect a call from them in the next day or so, so we can write up a contract."

"That's great if that's what you want." I try hard to not show how disappointed I am that she is leaving."

"I wouldn't say that it's what I want, but it's what I need to do. I can't continue to work for Hunter much longer. It's going to be too difficult."

"I understand. Where are you going to be moving to if you don't mind me asking?"

"Of course I don't. I'll be going to northern California."

"Wow, that's so far away."

"You sound just like my sister, Liz. She said the exact same thing when I told her." She laughs. "I picked California because of the distance from Nashville. I'd never be able to move on if I stayed near by. I know me. I would just hang around hoping to run into Hunter some place. It's better for everyone, that I move far away."

I'm not so sure about that, but I don't share that with her. "We will miss you so much. You'll always be family to us."

"Thank you. I will miss you, too. You and Leo have always been so kind and loving to me."

I can see she is fighting to hold back tears, so am I. "How do you think Harper will be when you leave?"

"I was worried at first that it would be really difficult on her, but the more time she spends with Renee the closer they are becoming. They're spending a lot of time as a family with Hunter and I think that's giving Harps the sense of security, that she really needs."

"Will you still try and have contact with her?"

"I want to. I really do. I love her so much." She stops for a few seconds to compose herself. "But I can't seem to think of a way to do it that wouldn't include Hunter or Renee having to be involved. If she was older, she could email or call me or I could skype with her. But she's still so young it would require her parent's help and I really can't deal with that right now."

She looks incredibly sad so I lean over and give her a hug. "Maybe when she's visiting with us, we could help her call you. Would you like that?"

"I would love that. Thank you so much for the offer.....but how do you think Hunter will feel about it? I don't want to cause any problems between you and him."