Chapter 4

Hunter's POV

Wow, I can't believe they did this. The whole band is here along with their wives and kids. Steve brought his girlfriend, Jessica whom he has been dating seriously for about a year. I suspect wedding bells in their future. When I notice Jessica talking to a girl I don't recognize, I look closer. She is very pretty, about my height with wavy blonde hair, about shoulder length and freckles maybe, hard to tell from this distance.  

"Oh No!" I moan quietly to myself. Please don't let this be the guys' way of trying to play matchmakers! I am seriously not ready to start dating anyone. Just this morning Betsy told the band and I that we will be heading out on tour, in a few weeks.  So even if I wanted to, which I most certainly don't, I don't have time for a girlfriend. Heck, I haven't even had time to tell my parents my plans for Harper while I am touring. That's how busy I am.

"Awww, Thanks everyone! I finally manage to force out. "This is a total surprise! I didn't see any of your cars when I pulled up. How did you manage that?"

Matt was the first to speak up. "We car pooled so we would have fewer cars, then we parked a few streets over and walked here."

When I see Steve, Jessica and the pretty blonde girl walking my way, I'm tempted to turn and walk in the opposite direction, but I don't. 'Why are they doing this?' I mumble to myself. I just want to crawl under the table? This is going to be so awkward.

"Hey Hunt, how's the birthday boy doing?" Steve asks as he slaps me on the back. I can tell from the smirk on his face he knows I have figured out what they are doing.

"I am great. A little tired, but that's par for the course, for this professional musician/single dad. That's why I always have a coffee cup, in my hand." I nervously ramble. I am so uncomfortable right now. I could be sick.

"Hunter, this is my cousin, Kelly Jones. She's a huge fan of yours." Jessica says with the biggest smile on her face.

I just want the ground to open up and swallow me right now. When it doesn't, I some how managed to stick my hand out to Kelly. "Hi, nice to meet you."

She reaches over and shakes my hand. "I hope you don't mind me crashing your party? I asked Steve to call first to make sure it was okay with your parents." She mumbles while fidgeting with a bracelet on her left wrist. "I've always wanted to meet you. I think I have been to at least 30 of your concerts."

Wow, I believe that Kelly might be almost as nervous as I am. That makes me feel a bit better. She really is very pretty. She has bluish green eyes and a tiny scar over her right eye.  Her hair is a dark blonde, nothing like my ex wife's. Kelly's hair is much shorter and wavy unlike Renee's, which is stick straight.

Once I letting go of her hand, I manage to squeak a few words out. "Um, you weren't kidding when you said you were a fan. Over 30 concerts, that's incredible. I hope I managed to make each show unique. That's what the band and I TRY to do at least." I nervously laugh.

"Each concert was amazing! You are such a phenomenal musician. It's a pleasure watching you perform." She says looking me straight in the eyes while smiling from ear to ear.

Kelly seems very nice. The only problem is I am not looking for a relationship right now. The only woman I have room for in my life, is my daughter. Which reminds me I haven't seen her for awhile. So, I begin to scan the back yard for her. I feel lost when I don't have her in my arms. I know I need to cherish this stage in her life because before I know it she will be all grown up and not need me any more.

"I'm sorry, but would you please excuse me? I need to go check on my daughter. It was nice to meet you. Maybe we can talk some more later?" With that said, I head off to find Harper who is sitting on Uncle Andy's lap playing with his glasses.

"Hey there Little One. What are doing? Cleaning Uncle Andy's glasses?" I ask with a laugh. 

When Harper sees me, her face lights up. "Dada. Dada, UP pleeez" She says with her arms spread wide.

I take that as my cue to scoop her into my arms and place kisses all over her face. I love to do this. She always gets so excited and giggles. I swear she has the cutest laugh in the whole wide world.

"Time to eat." I hear my mom call. That's music to my ears since I am starving. With Harper in my arms, I go over to make us a plate of food. The table is full of many of my favorites, Mom's special BBQ ribs, corn bread, tossed green salad with lots of ranch dressing, coleslaw and a crock full of baked beans. Just as I am about to put Harper down so I can butter the corn bread, I hear Kelly's voice.

"Would you like me to hold her for you?"

"Ah, are you sure? " 

She smiles, nods her head, yes and reaches for Harper. Since Kelly is a stranger, Harps is bit tentative at first, but eventually she allows Kelly to take her into her arms. Immediately, Kelly starts bouncing Harps on her hip while telling Harper how adorable she is. I wonder if Kelly really likes kids or if this is all an act. Thanks to my ex wife, I find myself questioning every woman who shows interest in me or my baby girl.

"Thanks. I appreciate the help."

"It's the least I can do for the man whose voice I fall asleep listening to each night." She smirks then turns and walks over to the table Steve and Jessica are sitting at. I can't believe she just said that! I think I am blushing.

I take my time putting several more items on my plate that I know Harper will eat. The whole time hoping my skin tone has returned to normal. When I turn to look for a seat, I discover that the only empty one is next to Kelly. Well, it appears everyone is playing matchmaker, even my mom. Which I can tell because she won't look me in the eye. 

'Am I ready for this?' Obviously they think I am. Maybe if we take it real slow? 'I don't know? I am so confused!'  I mutter to myself, as I walk over to become "friends" with Kelly.