Chapter 57

Hunter's POV

"Stop." I hiss. "Kelly the reason I will NEVER love you is because you aren't a nice person. You are conniving and manipulative."

She looks hurt. "Please, just give us a chance. I know we could be such a happy family.

Before I can say another word, Ryan comes running up to us. "Excuse me Hunter, but you need to go, now! The band and MC are waiting. " He says breathlessly.

"Oh crap." I say as we start sprinting down the hall, leaving Kelly and her delusions behind.

____________

Liddy's POV

"Are you having a good time?" Liz asks.

"I am. What about you?"

"The same. Joe and I are enjoying reconnecting with some of the families that were in the hospital the same time as Austin."

"It's so hard to believe that Austin was ill just a few years ago. He's so full of life now."

"I know." She says as tears form in her eyes.

I pull her into a hug. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry!" 

"It's fine. I still get a little emotional sometimes. We could have lost him, if it wasn't for St. Jude's hospital. They do such wonderful work here. I hope this year's gala raises tons of money so they can continue their research."

"So do I. Hopefully, the dance auction will help."

"Pardon me." I hear a man in his late twenties with dark hair and green eyes say. "My name is John Williams. I'm looking for Ryan Cyr. Someone suggested you might be able to help me locate him."

"Oh, he is helping Hunter Hayes and his band right now. He should be back any minute if you would like to wait." 

"Thanks, I think I will, if you don't mind?"

"Not at all." I say as I extend my hand. "Hi, we are Ryan's friends. My name is Liddy Deans and this is my sister, Liz Perry."

"Nice to meet you, two." 

"How do you know Ryan?" 

"We work for the same record label."

"Are you the same John Williams that sings 'My Only'?" Liz asks.

He blushes. "Yes, ma'am."

"Please, no reason to call me ma'am. It makes me feel old." She giggles. "I love your album by the way."

"Thanks. I'm glad you like it."

"I apologize for not recognizing you." I say. "You just look much different in person."

He chuckles. "It's, okay. Most people don't, without my cowboy hat on."

"That's what's missing."

"Yeah, I didn't think it went very well, with the tuxedo." He smirks. "So how long have you and Ryan known each other?"

"I met him a few months ago. He opens for my employer, Hunter Hayes."

"You work for Hunter? What do you do?"

"I'm his nanny. I watch his daughter Harper."

"Do you travel on tour with him?"

"Yes. Harper and I go pretty much wherever he goes."

"Well, he is one lucky guy, getting to see that beautiful smile every day."

I'm speechless so I look to Liz to rescue me.