Chapter 92

Hunter's POV

"We don't need to involve Renee."

"We don't? How come?" Liddy asks.

"Because Renee won't be around Harper much. She will be leaving soon for an acting job."

After riding in silence for quite awhile, I finally glance over at Liddy. She's looking out the side window. I can tell she's worried. Her brows are furrowed and she's fiddling with her bracelet, the charm bracelet Harper and I gave her for Christmas. I'm surprised she's still wearing it, but the fact that she is makes me happy. 

I want so badly to inform her that Renee and I are over, but now is not the time, not while we are riding in the car. I need to be looking in her eyes when I tell her. I want to be able to read her body language and watch her reaction to the news. I'm hoping I'll see some sign that she can forgive me for hurting her. I realize it's a long shot, but I have to try to get her back, because honestly I can't imagine my life without her in it.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I ask while fighting the urge to reach over and hold her hand.

She turns and looks at me. "I don't think there's enough pennies in the world to buy all the thoughts that are running through my mind right now."

Without thinking, I flip open the ash tray that is located below the radio.  It is filled with change. "How much will this buy me?"

She giggles, for the first time since I can't remember when. "Maybe one or two?"

"That's all? I was hoping for at least 5, but I guess 2 is better than none." I wink. "Seriously, do you want to talk? Because I can assure you if any of your concerns are about Harps. I've already considered them."

"It's just what if......" Before she can say any more her phone rings. "I'm sorry, I need to take this."

I nod. "No problem."

She smiles then hits the answer button on her iPhone.

"Hello?.... How are you doing Mr. Green?... That's good.... Yes, I received it, but I haven't had a chance to open it yet. I'm sorry. The little girl I'm watching is ill and she needed to go to the doctors. ........ Thanks for understanding. Is it okay if I check it over later tonight and let you know if I have any questions?..... Awesome, I appreciate your patience.... Okay, great. I'll talk with you soon. Bye."

While she puts her phone back in her purse, I can't help but wonder who Mr. Green is.  I've never heard her mention his name before. I want to ask about him, but know I have no right to.

"Sorry about that."

"No worries. How many times have you had to wait through phone calls for me?"

"A few."

I laugh. "I think far more than a few, more like hundreds."

"It wasn't that bad. You always tried to keep the conversations short."

"I did." Then I smile. "So would you still like to talk about what's going on in that beautiful head of yours?"

She blushes. "I would, but can it wait till we get home? We're almost there."

"Absolutely. There's a few things I'd like to discuss too, if you don't mind?"

"Not at all."

__________________

Liddy's POV

Hunter and I just put Harper to bed after getting her to eat a few spoonfuls of applesauce, swallow her acetaminophen and drink a couple sips of pedialyte. It was a challenge but we did it. It reminded me a lot of the first time she was sick with a fever. We joked and laughed but some how managed to get her to take her medicine. Today was the same way, almost like the past several weeks never happened.