Chapter 103

Hunter's POV

As I pull into my drive my heart starts to race. I leave my car parked outside and grab my bag from the back seat. I close the door carefully, trying not to make a sound. When I reach the back door, I silently slip my key into the lock. My hand shakes as I turn the knob. I can't wait to see Liddy and Harper's surprised faces when I walk inside.

They have no idea that I took an earlier flight, just so I could spend a few hours with them before going to the Ryman Center to rehearse for the CMA Awards tomorrow night.

It's only been 5 days since I saw them last, but it feels more like weeks. Because of the wedding preparations and all the infertility testing, Liddy has had to do she and Harps have been staying in Nashville more than they have been on the tour bus with me. God, I miss them so much when they aren't around.

When I step through the door I'm greeted by silence. No "Daddy I missed you." No "Babe, what are you doing here so early?" Not even the din from the television to welcome me. My heart sinks.

They're suppose to be here. Liddy told me this morning on the phone that she and my baby girl had no plans. They were going to just hang out together and wait for me and enjoy the fact that they didn't need to run off to some appointment.

I wonder if maybe they're upstairs, moving things from Liddy's apartment into the main house or in Harper's room having a tea party or playing with her dollhouse. I sigh then grab the strap of my travel bag and throw it over my shoulder. This surprise isn't going quite as I had planned.

At the top of the staircase, I turn left and head towards Harper's bedroom, hoping to hear Liddy's animated voice reading Harps her favorite story while she giggles. When there isn't a sound, my heart falls. I walk straight towards the apartment and throw open the door. Again, there's no sign of them. I'm starting to worry.

I abandon the idea of surprising them and just start calling their names and searching every room on the first and second level of the house. They are nowhere to be found. I even look in the garage hoping to find Liddy's white Range Rover missing, but it's not. It's still seating there. The realization that she hasn't driven them somewhere is enough to finally make me panic.

Frantically, I pull my phone out of my back jean pocket and call her. It rings and rings and eventually goes to her voice mail. I leave her a message to call me back ASAP then I hang up. 'Where could they be?' I ask myself repeatedly.

I check the back yard to see if they may be playing on Harper's swing set or swimming in the pool. I'm disappointed I didn't find them, but not surprised since it's mid November and the outside temperature is seasonably cool.

When I realize that there's no sign of a struggle I try to take comfort in that. But I can't help but remember what I was told when I first moved to Nashville to become a musician. 'Always be careful and leery of everyone. Because obsessed and angry fans can and will find you if they want to bad enough.'

Someone could have come to the door and pushed their way inside, possibly an upset fan that doesn't want Liddy and I to get married. If they had threatened Harper at all I know Lid would not have put up a fight. She would do exactly what they said, just to keep my daughter safe.

Just thinking that something like that could have happened makes me ill. My hearts races and I can feel sweat running down my face and back. I try calling her phone again and it goes straight to voicemail. 'Lord, please have them be okay.'

When I realize, I haven't checked the indoor pool, my hope is somewhat renewed. Harper is a little fish. Of course they could be down there. I run straight for the stairs and take them two at a time, anticipating finding them laughing and playing around in the water. My heart again sinks when I discover the pool is empty.