Chapter 56

Liddy's POV

"So how do I look?" I ask Liz as I step out of my bedroom and twirl around.

"Oh, Liddy you look gorgeous! Your hair is beautiful pulled back in a simple yet sleek high ponytail and your makeup is perfect. Just love the smoky eye look. I don't even know where to begin when it comes to the dress. It looks amazing on you! I am so glad you chose to go with the black and white gown. The fact that it is backless just pushes it over the top."

I blush. "Thanks Liz." I say as I force smile.

"What's wrong? I can see in your eyes, something is up."

"It's nothing. I'm just feeling sorry for myself. When I bought this dress I secretly hoped that Hunter would be taking me to this gala. I know it was silly of me." I say as I fight back the tears. "I'm just really disappointed that he isn't."

"Oh, don't cry! It'll ruin your make up." She says as she runs over to give me a hug. "I'm so sorry that things worked out this way for you. It's all Kelly's fault. I don't care what she says, I think she got pregnant on purpose, to trap ...."

I interrupt her. "I REALLY can't talk about this right now! Can we please change the subject?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Of course we can. So, uhm, when is Ryan coming to get us?"

"He should be here within the hour."

"It's really nice of him to offer to drive me to the ball. It makes it much easier for Joe to just drive directly to the gala from work."

"Ryan is a very nice guy and a great friend."

"Will he ever be anything more? You two looked pretty chummy the last time I saw you."

"It's all an act on both of our parts. I'm actually trying to play matchmaker with him and my friend Shelly from high school."

"Oh, I remember her, she use to come over all the time. Super funny, right?'

"That's her."

When I hear my phone ring I pick it up and see a message from Ryan.

R: Leaving my house now. Should be at your place in about 30 minutes, maybe less depending on traffic."

I smile as I text back.

L: Okay, see you soon. Drive careful.

"Who was that?" 

"It was Ryan. He should be here in half an hour, so you better go put on your dress."

"Oh my goodness, that soon? Even with my hair done I'm going to be cutting it close." She says as she runs into my room to change.

I just laugh.

---------------------------

Hunter's POV

"Hey guys, are we all set?"

Andy replies first. "I am."

"Me too." Matt says as he pulls on his tie. "Now, explain to me again why we have to wear tuxes while we perform?"

"Because it's a black tie affair. Everyone is formally dressed. That's what the organizers wanted this year." I say.

"Well, I don't like it much."

I try hard not to laugh. "So have all of you gotten your auction number, if you haven't then you better, especially you, Steve? You know how upset Jessica will be if someone out bids you for a chance to dance with her."

"Oh wow, I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I should go do that right now." When he reaches the door that leads to the front of the facility he pauses. "Hey, Hunter do you want me to pick one up for you, too?"