Chapter 45

Liddy's POV

I look at my watch. Liz and Joe should be here soon to pick me up for Lynette and Leo's holiday party. As much as I adore them, I am really nervous about going to this gathering. Hunter will likely be there with Kelly and I'm afraid I'm not strong enough to handle it. Especially, after yesterday's encounter with him in the pool. Seeing his toned body and feeling it next to mine brought back all the feelings I have worked so hard to forget.

I just wish Ryan were here to go with me. Even though he's not my boyfriend he's still a really good friend. I know he would have made me laugh and kept me busy so I wouldn't have time to just stand and gaze at Hunter and Kelly all night.

When I hear a knock at my door I walk over to answer it.

"Hi, come on in." I say as I step back motioning for Joe and Liz to enter.

"Don't you look pretty." My brother-in-law says.

"Awe thanks, Joe. You're looking very dapper yourself."

"Hey, What about me?" Liz asks. "How do I look?"

"You look gorgeous! That sapphire blue dress makes your eyes stand out. But then again I knew it would that's why I suggested you buy it." I giggle.

"I agree, you sure know how to dress yourself and others. Have you ever thought about going back to school to get your degree in Fashion Design? You would make an excellent stylist." Liz asks.

"Sometimes, I think about it. Maybe someday."

"So are we ready to go?" Joe asks.

"I just need to check my hair and makeup. Why don't you head to the car and I'll meet you there in a minute."

"Ok, is there anything you would like me to carry?"

"Yes, under the tree there is a box wrapped in blue paper with a silver ribbon. That's my gift for Lynette and Leo."

"I got it. Liz are you walking down with me?"

"No, I'll stay here and help Liddy. I promise we won't be long."

He walks over and kisses her on the cheek. "Okay, I'll hold you to that promise." Then he winks as he opens the door and steps out into the cool night air.

"So how do I look, Liz? And be honest."

"I think you're stunning."

"Are you sure?" I ask as I run my hands over my dark maroon cocktail dress that's back less and curve hugging. It's a bit shorter than I usually wear but I think it looks fine with the black nylons and pumps that I have paired with it.

"You will be the prettiest woman there and Hunter won't be able to take his eyes off of you. That's what you want to hear, isn't it?"

"I just want to look better than Kelly."

"So she's going to be at the party?"

"I don't know that for certain, but Hunter did mention earlier this week that he had some good news to share with all of us. I didn't ask for any more details because I assumed that it was about him and Kelly announcing that they are back together."

"If you are right, how are you going to handle it? I know you have been spending a lot of time with Ryan, but you admitted yesterday that you still care about Hunter."

"I do. But I'm really trying to get over him. I think seeing him with Kelly will finally be what I need to let go and move forward. It's going to hurt so bad, but you know the saying 'What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger'."