Chapter 16

Liddy's POV

"The simplest answer is I love children. I always have. I was the girl who missed out on a lot of junior high and high school events because I would be babysitting." Please, please, please, let that answer satisfy Hunter's curiosity!

"What did you mean by 'the simplest answer'?  It sounds like there's more to it, than the fact that you love kids?"

"Yes, there is, but it's a long story."

He leans back and places his legs on the coffee table. "I've got all night."

I take a deep breath and begin. "Well, when I was younger I originally wanted to be a fashion designer. I was fascinated with clothes and I would spend hours sketching different styles of dresses. It got to the point that I had notebooks full of my drawings. I even taught myself how to sew so I could make my own prom dress, from one of my designs. Then something happened towards the end of my senior year of high school, that changed my mind."

"And what was it? "

"I learned that I couldn't have children."

Hunter was shocked. I could see it on his face. "What....what happened, if you don't mind me asking?"  

"No I don't mind, but the subject might make you a bit uncomfortable. Are you sure you want to know?" He shakes his head, yes.

"Well I began to develop pain from ovarian cysts when I was about 15. By the time I was 17 the pain was so bad that I had to start taking birth control pills to prevented myself from ovulating. This helped with the pain, but never totally eliminated it. Then in January of my senior year of high school I woke up in the middle of the night with the worse pain I had ever felt in my life. It was like I was being stabbed with a white hot knife."

"I managed to crawl out of bed and get my parent's attention. They rushed me to the hospital and we learned that a cyst had grown extremely large and was twisted around my right ovary. I had to have it taken out immediately before it ruptured. I was rushed in for emergency surgery and woke up to discover that the cyst along with my right ovary had been removed. There was too much damage to my ovary so they couldn't save it."

I stop for a second to see how Hunter is doing. "Are you okay? I know this topic can make men really uncomfortable."

He flashes me the sweetest smile. "I am fine, Liddy. I've been married and had a pregnant wife. I am pretty up on how the female reproductive system works.  I am more concerned about you. If you don't want to share any more of your story I will understand."

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking."

"Are you are sure? Because if you are, I would really like to hear the rest of your story." Hunter states with such compassion in his voice.

"Well, right after graduation I decided to have more tests done.  I wanted to know if having only one ovary would affect my chances of getting pregnant one day. Like I said before, I LOVE children and always hoped to have 3-4 kids. When the test results came back they showed that my left fallopian tube, the only functioning one I have, has considerable scarring in it. That means that I'll have an extremely difficult time getting pregnant and IF I ever can get pregnant, my chances of having a normal pregnancy are low. I guess having only one ovary puts you at a much higher risk for an ectopic pregnancy."