Chapter 51

Liddy's POV

I had a wonderful Christmas day with Hunter. After we exchanged our presents, we woke Harper up, fed her and watched her open a few gifts. She loved the Fisher Price dollhouse I gave her. She didn't want to stop playing with it, even when her mother stopped by.

It was my first time meeting Renee in person and it went better than I expected. I hadn't planned to be present when she showed up, but Lynette and Leo were already at the house so we were talking and laughing and we totally lost track of time. Before any of us realized it, Renee was knocking at the door.

I was able to watch the interaction between Harper and her mother. There is some bond there, but not as strong as most mothers' with their children. I could tell Renee does love Harper. She just doesn't know how to relax around her. My guess is it's because Harps is so young. They may become closer when Harper is in her early teens. Hopefully, by then Renee will have more things in common with her daughter.

After everyone left, Harper was exhausted so of course her temperature went back up. I offered to stay over to help and Hunter happily accepted. When I returned to his place all ready for bed, in my sleeping clothes, I discovered Harper sleeping with her hand on a small box with my name on it and Hunter quietly sitting in the corner of the room.

When I asked him what was up, he smiled and told me Harper had gotten me a gift, too. Once I opened it I found a beautiful white gold bracelet with 5 charms on it. There was an "H", a book, a unicorn, a penguin and one that said #1 Nanny on it. I became teary-eyed at the significance of each charm. They picked the book because she loves me to read to her, the "H" because it stands for Harper, a penguin because they know I love them and the #1 nanny charm obviously because I'm her nanny. I did have a hard time figuring out why they chose a unicorn. I had to ask Hunter. He explained it was to remind me of the time I took Harper for her first carousel ride.

After I asked him to help me put it on and then I gave both him and Harps a hug. Hunter made it a point to tell me that Harper went with him to pick out the charms and the ones they added to the bracelet were the ones she specifically wanted me to have. That made the gift even more special to me.

I have it on today and can't stop looking at it. It reminds me of how much I love that little girl and her father. I really feel like I have found my home. It's wherever they are. Unfortunately, Hunter doesn't know that yet, but I plan to tell him soon.

As my phone chimes, I smile because I'm expecting a message from Liz. Since Harper's fever is down, we are suppose to go shopping and hit all the after Christmas sales. As I look down, I notice the message is from Kelly. I automatically think it's something bad. Reluctantly, I open her message.

K: Hey, per chance are you and maybe even your sister free for lunch today?

I can't believe what I just read. I immediately call Liz.

"Hello."

"Hey, it's me. You're not going to believe who texted me?"

"Craig?"

"No. Kelly!!!"

"What does she want?" Liz asks.

"To have lunch with us today, if we are available!" I state.

"What did you say?"

"I haven't replied yet. I wanted to see what you think I should do."

"That's a tough call. You can ignore her and always wonder what she wanted and hope it doesn't come back to haunt you. Or you can meet with her and listen to what she has to say knowing that if the subject is Hunter you're going to get upset. Both choices suck."