Chapter 53

Liddy's POV

Thankfully, I was able to get a flight out last night to Virginia. It cost me a fortune, but I don't really care. I just had to get away. There were so many memories of Hunter in my apartment from this past weekend. It was just too painful to hang around.

If I had stayed I know I would have been tempted to knock on Hunter's door and throw myself into his arms and pretend that we could make this work somehow. That we could find a way where everyone would be happy, but in my head I know there isn't a chance of that. So before I did something stupid like tell him about the baby instead of letting Kelly do that, I ran home for a few days to re group and hopefully gain some inner strength.

"So what would you like to do today?" My dad asks from behind the morning paper.

"Uhm, I'm not sure, maybe visits some high school friends. Do you know if Shelly Parker is still around?"

"She is." Jan says as she flips the omelet she is making me. "She met a guy right out of college and moved in with him for a while, but I guess it didn't work out. I ran into her mother the other day at the grocery store and she told me Shelly is working for one of the lawyers downtown."

"We lost track of each other when she went to college in Mass and I headed to Nashville. I would really like to see if I could get together with her. It would be great to catch up."

"Why don't you call her parent's house later. I am sure they can give you a number to contact Shelly." Jan suggests.

"I think I may do that."

"If you do connect with Shelly you be sure to bring her over to visit." My dad says. "She was always a spitfire. She could make me laugh like no one else."

"I will do that." I smile.

"Liddy, do you have any plans for lunch?" Jan asks.

"No."

"Great, I was hoping we could go shopping then grab lunch somewhere after."

"Yeah, we can do that. When would you like to leave?" I ask.

"As soon as you are ready."

"Okay. Just let me finish my omelet then I'll go take a quick shower. We can leave in about an hour."

"Perfect." Jan says.

_____________

Hunter's POV

"Thanks for stopping by mom." I say as I hand her a cup of coffee.

"I could tell from your voice, something is up. What is it?"

"It's Liddy. She's gone."

"What do you mean she's gone! Gone where?" I can hear the concern in her voice.

"Yesterday afternoon she came over and asked if she could have time off to go visit her parents."

"Is one of them ill?"

"Not that I know of. All she said was that she wanted to surprise them." I say as I rub the back of my neck. "Something's up, mom. She was acting strange the whole time she was talking to me about it. She avoided looking at me. She couldn't commit to an exact date as to when she would return other than to say it would be before we left on Jan 3rd for the tour."

"That isn't like her at all. Especially, the not looking at you, part. When we were here on Christmas afternoon you two couldn't keep your eyes off each other."

"Yeah, tell me about it. We had such a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas day together, even with Harper sick. I was planning on telling her I love her on New Year's Eve and then this happens." I sigh.