Chapter 91

Hunter's POV

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I ran into some traffic." Renee says as she meets me on her front porch.

"No problem"

"Have you been waiting long?"

"No, about 10 minutes."

"Why didn't you use your key to let yourself in?"

"Because I didn't think it was right."

"Wwwhat do you mean by that?" She asks nervously.

"Can we talk inside, please?"

"Oh, ah sure. Follow me."

Once we're sitting in her living room I don't waste any time. I just want to get this over with. "So I've been doing a lot of thinking about us and about what happened last night and I..."

"Please, don't say that it's over." She cries. "I know I messed up and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at Liddy in front of Harper, but I couldn't help myself."

"Renee, I'm sorry, but it just isn't working..."

"No Hunter, please." She begs. "I'll apologize to Harps and I'll never raise my voice around her again. I'll do whatever you want, just give me a chance, please."

"I did give you a chance. I wanted us to work for Harper's sake, but last night finally helped me realize that we are very different people."

"No we aren't. We both want the same thing, to raise our daughter together."

"But don't you see that's not enough. We have to agree on how to raise her and the values we want to teach her."

"Wwwwhaat do you mean? I don't understand."

"I want Harper to learn to always tell the truth and to deal with conflict calmly."

"I want that to."

"REALLY?"

"Yes, really. Of course I do."

"Then why did YOU do the total opposite yesterday, in front of her?"

"I didn't mean to. It just kind of happened."

"Here's the thing, children learn by example. You can't tell them one thing and do the opposite. It sends mixed messages. So that means no matter how upset you are, you can't let your feelings get out of control in front of them."

"I know. I'm really sorry. I promise, it'll never happen again.

"Don't make promises we both know you can't keep."

"But, I can. Please trust me." She says as she reaches for my hand.

I stand up and walk over to the fireplace. "That's the thing Renee. I DON'T trust you anymore."

"But why?"

I force myself to laugh. "Because all you've done is lie to me repeatedly the last couple of days. Who knows you've probably lied more than that and I didn't notice because I just wasn't paying close attention."

"I haven't lied to you?"

"Yes, you have! You're lying right now! You told me you didn't yell in front of Harper, but you did. You actually accused her of being confused."

"I only did that to avoid a fight."

"So that makes it okay?"

"No, but my intentions were good."