Chapter 59

Liddy's POV

My face lights up when I see Hunter standing in front of me holding a single red rose. There's such intensity in his stormy blue gray eyes. I almost melt.

"You look absolutely gorgeous."

I blush. "Thank you. You look very handsome yourself."

He flashes me that killer smile of his and my heart literally stops for a second or maybe two, before he offers me his hand. "You never answered my question. Will you dance with me?"

I giggle. "Of course I will." Then I place my hand in his and follow him towards the other room. On our way there, we walk by the stage and that's when I notice Kelly standing there glaring at me. I can feel her hatred and it reminds me that Hunter should be with her not me. Why isn't he? She told me he was excited about the baby.

The confusion I'm feeling is overwhelming. None of this makes any sense.  Why would he bid so much money for one dance with me, when Kelly said he wants her to move in with him? Do I even know who Hunter is? With all the uncertainty, I stop and remove my hand from his.

The smile on his face disappears as soon as his eyes meet mine. "Liddy, what's the matter?"

"This isn't right." I say as I back away from him.

"What do you mean?" I can hear the panic in his voice.

"You shouldn't have bid on a dance with me. Why did you?"

"Because I wanted to."

"But you should be with Kel...."

He interrupts me. "You and I need to talk. I was hoping to wait until after our dance, but I think it's better if we do it now, just not here." Then he grabs my hand and ushers me down the hall, to the room that I assume they used as a temporary dressing room.

Once we are inside, he locks the door and leads me over to the leather couch. I'm nervous. I have no desire to hear him talk about Kelly and their baby, but I remain seated. As much as I dread having this discussion with him, I know it's long overdue.

He takes both of my hands in his and starts rubbing his thumbs over my knuckles. I feel my apprehension start to dissolve away until I look into his eyes and notice they're full of uncertainty. Now, my trepidation is worse than ever.

"Wow, we have so much to talk about, I almost don't know where to begin."

I force myself to smile. "Start wherever you want."

He releases the breath he's been holding. "Well, earlier today Ryan and I talked and he told me about Kelly and all the lies  she has been feeding you."

Did he just say the word "lies"?  My heart starts pounding so loudly, I can barely hear myself speak. "What did you say?"

"Kelly has been lying to you for months. She and I have NEVER been a couple, ever."

"But, but." I stutter. "She showed me the photo of her sleeping on your chest, I saw it with my own two eyes. I remember it very clearly and when she said it was taken. It was the morning after our first kiss. Harper, Liz and I had just gotten off the carousel when we ran into her."

"I'll bet that was all planned."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm pretty sure Kelly set both you and me up, in an attempt to keep us apart. She is delusional. She's been stalking me, for awhile. Texting me, telling me she loves and misses me. Even when I didn't reply she kept doing it."