Chapter 72

Hunter POV

The sun has been up for hours and so have I. I've just been lying here watching Liddy sleep. I can't get over how beautiful she is. She literally takes my breath away. I love every single thing about her, from the color of her gorgeous chestnut hair and the way it splays over my pillow all the way down to her adorable little toes that are painted pink and peeking out from under the blanket. She is absolute perfection and she's all mine. How did I get so lucky?

"Morning." She says as she yawns and turns so she can look at me. "How long have you been up?"

"A few hours."

"A few hours? What have you been doing the whole time?"

"Thinking."

"Thinking about what?" She asks cautiously.

"About you and about last night." I pause when I feel her instantly stiffen in my arms. She's uncomfortable about something. "Baby, what's wrong?"

"Ah, uhm, about last night, I'm really sorry."

"What do you have to be sorry about?" Now, she's got me worried.

"I ah, I know I disappointed you, Hunter. You don't have to pretend, otherwise."

I am astonished at her remark. "You're joking right?"

"No." She states while avoiding eye contact with me.

"Oh my god baby, look at me, please." I ask, but she won't stop staring at the bed. So I have no choice but to lift her chin so our eyes meet. I can tell she really believes what she just said and it breaks my heart. "You were absolutely amazing. What did I do or say to make you think differently?"

"It's nothing....Can we change the subject, please?"

"No we can't change the subject, not until you answer my question."

"Really Hunter, it's fine."

 "No it's not fine! PLEASE, talk to me... I can't stand to think that I did something to make you think that you were anything but perfect."

"I really don't want to discuss this anymore, so can we just drop it?" She then sits up and grabs the spare blanket at the end of the bed and wraps it around herself. "I'm going to take a shower."

"Liddy, please stop. Don't run off. We're not done talking about this."

"I am." She mumbles while she picks up her slip and robe and walks out of the room.

_____________

Liddy's POV

"I can't believe we are having our first fight and it has to be about this!" I mutter to myself before stepping into the warm shower and letting the water wash over me. As the tears that I have been holding back roll down my face, I think about Hunter and how he's saying everything was "amazing" when clearly it wasn't. It's obvious he's just trying to spare my feelings. I just wish he'd let it be. This is embarrassing enough, I certainly don't need to discuss the details with him.

"Liddy, come on. We need to talk." I hear him say through the closed bathroom door.

"I'm in the shower."

"I can hear that. Would you please, finish up and come out here."

I ignore him. Hoping he will go away.

After a few minutes I hear the words. "Don't force me to come in there and get you."

I guess the silent treatment didn't work. "You wouldn't dare."