Chapter 40

Liddy's POV

I had a nice time exploring the zoo with Ryan. He's a very sweet and attractive man. I discovered that he's originally from Mississippi and moved to Nashville about 4 years ago. He comes from a large family with lots of nieces and nephews. He's never been married and is 30 years old.

Even though I enjoyed Ryan's company I still couldn't stop thinking about Hunter and the look on his face when I chose to spend my time at the zoo with Ryan instead of him and Harper. I know he looked sad. I just can't figure out why? He made his choice. He picked Kelly. Is he having second thoughts? I don't know what to think. I am so confused right now.

"Hey, Liddy, do you want to ride back to the hotel in our van?" Ryan asks as we all start to gather at the designated meeting spot.

I can tell he really wants me to go with him. The problem is I don't want to lead Ryan on. It was obvious from the way he teased me all day that he likes me and if I wasn't in love with Hunter, who knows what would happen. At least for now, I'm not ready to be anything more than his friend. "Ah, thanks for the offer, but I'd like to spend some time with Harper. I'm sure she had a blast today and I'm dying to hear all the things she did."

"That's okay." I can tell he's a bit disappointed. "I had a great time getting to know the real Liddy Deans, by the way."

"I had fun learning more about you, too." I'm careful of my facial expression, I don't want to send him the wrong message.

"Maybe we could hang out some time, when you aren't watching Harper?"

Darn, how do I answer? I wouldn't mind hanging out with him as a friend, but I'm almost positive he's interested in more than friendship. This is so awkward. I don't want to hurt his feelings. He's a really nice guy. "Ah..... sure, I'm always looking for someone to play Mario cart with."

Ryan chuckles. "So am I to assume you are pretty good?"

"Yay, you might say that. Just ask, Matt." We both start laughing.

When I hear Hunter's voice, I automatically search for him in the crowd. Once I find him, I see he has a very tired Harper in his arms. She's resting her head on his shoulder and she keeps yawning. I can't help myself. I pull out my phone and take a photo. Then I ask Ryan to excuse me and I walk over to the two of them. I immediately notice Harper's eyes don't light up like they usually do when she sees me. I can't tell what Hunter's eyes are doing he has sunglasses on.

"Hey there cutie. Did you have fun with your daddy?" She nods her head, yes but doesn't say a word. "Too tired to talk, I see."

"We need to chat." Hunter whispers as he carries Harper to a more private area. I follow close behind. Once he's comfortable that no one can hear us, he stops. "She had fun, but she kept asking about you all day." He says sternly.

"She did? I ah....."

Hunter cuts me off. "She cried when we went to see the pandas and you weren't there. She kept saying, you were suppose to take her to see the pandas." Hunter is angry with me I can see it in his face and hear it in his voice.

I've never seen Hunter this upset before, especially with me. I don't know what to do, so I void his gaze and concentrate my attention on Harper. "Oh baby girl. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make you sad." As I reach over to rub her shoulder, I feel her pull away from me. She's never done that before. I feel like someone just punched me in the stomach.

I look at Hunter directly and even though he has sunglasses on, I can now tell he is staring back at me. "Why didn't you text me she was upset? I would have taken her through the panda exhibit." I say defensively.