Chapter 87

Hunter's POV

After spending some time with Renee, I go to find Harper in the Living Room. Instead of watching TV she is sound asleep. I lean down and feel her forehead. I think Liddy may be right, she could be running a slight fever.

"Hey, Ren can you do me a favor and run upstairs and grab the thermometer from Harper's bathroom?"

"Why do you need a thermometer?"

"Because I want to check to see if Harps has a fever. I think she feels warm."

"Are you sure? I've been with her this afternoon and she hasn't complained once about being hot. She's probably just warm because I turned the AC back a bit too much, earlier. I couldn't help it. I was freezing. Why do you have to keep it so cold in here?"

"Because I'm always hot."

"You sure are, handsome." She giggles then wraps her arms around me and starts kissing my neck.

"Ren, please.... That can wait! I'm worried about Harper. Liddy texted me that she thinks Harps might have a fever."

"So what are you saying? Do you think she knows my daughter better than I do?"

"No. That's not what I'm saying."

"Are you sure?" She begins to cry. "Because it sounds like you don't trust my judgment. You still think I'm a terrible mother?"

"No, I don't. I can tell how hard you are trying. Honestly, I can." I pull her into a hug. "It's just that Liddy has spent a lot more time with Harps today, than either of us. So if she thinks something is off then I believe her."

"But..."

"No buts." I kiss her lips. "Humor me, just go and grab the thermometer, please."

"Oh okay, but only because you are so adorable."

I blush. "You're embarrassing me. Stop it."

"But you are so cute when you blush." She laughs before kissing me on the cheek and running up the stairs. Within a few seconds I hear her footsteps descending on the treads. "Here it is, but it's not going to do you any good. The battery is dead."

"It is? Damn. Well, I better go and buy another one then."

"Hunt, she really doesn't feel warm to me. Why don't you just wait and pick a thermometer up on your way to the studio in the morning? Or I can grab one when I'm out and about tomorrow, with Teresa. I'm sure we can find a pharmacy at some point during our shopping spree."

"I'm not sure..."

"Trust me, please. She's fine. Maybe just a little over tired."

"Do you really think that's all it is, just over tired? I could go ask Liddy if she has a thermometer."

Renee's body stiffens. "I wish you wouldn't do that."

"Why?"

"Because when I got Harper earlier today, it was obvious that she's not over you. I wouldn't put it past her to have made the whole story up about Harp not feeling well. She's probably sitting in her apartment now, waiting, hoping for you to drop by and ask for her help."

I listen to everything she says. I don't agree with any of it, but I choose to remain silent. I don't want to fight with her. "Okay, I won't go ask, but please remind me to buy a thermometer in the morning."

"I will, I promise. Now, let's snuggle. With Harps asleep we can watch what ever we want or what ever we don't want." She winks then bites her bottom lip. I instantly flash back to Liddy doing the exactly same thing and remember how crazy it would drive me. I could barely control myself. Sadly with Renee it's not the same.