Chapter 42

4 days later

Hunter's POV

Just like I predicted, Harper is back to her old self and as excited as ever to spend time with Liddy. Seeing the two of them smiling and giggling and just having fun makes me so very happy. I just wish I could get Liddy to let her defenses down and allow herself to fall in love with me. Lord knows I'm falling more in love with her each day.

For instance, today, I discovered how adorable she is when she sees a spider. Her rich chocolate brown eyes become huge and she jumps around on the furniture squealing to high heaven. Yesterday, I learned that she refuses to watch a movie that is sad because it makes her cry. Liddy Deans fascinates me in a way that no other woman ever has. I find myself looking forward to each day and the wonders she'll reveal.

When my phone rings, I look at the screen and see that it's my manager.

"Hey Betsy what's up?"

"I'm calling with some great news. The American Country Awards are later this week and they asked if you wanted to be a presenter. I realize it' last minute and isn't as exciting as if they wanted you to perform, but it is still an honor and great exposure. Which is what you need right now. Are you interested?"

"Absolutely! I would love to go and present. My new album hasn't been out that long so I certainly understand why I wasn't asked to sing. I took almost a year off during the divorce, so the fact that they even considered me as a presenter is awesome!"

"Oh good! I was hoping you would say, yes. Because of your tour schedule, you will need to fly out on Wednesday, make the presentation on Thursday night and then fly to Pennsylvania either the same night or early Friday morning. I will have my assistant make your travel arrangements and email them to you. Okay?"

"Sounds great, Betsy. Thanks for calling."

"My pleasure. Talk with you soon. Bye."

"Oh wait! There's one more thing, I need to ask you."

When I get off my phone, I jump in the air. This will be my first television appearance in over 9 months. I'm so excited. I need to share the news and I know exactly who I want to tell first.

I run to the door of my small studio at the back of my bus and pull it open. "Hey Liddy, Betsy just called and you won't believe what she wanted!"

When I reach the living room she and Harper are playing a game on the floor. As she lifts her head to look at me, the smile on her face takes my breath away. She is so beautiful.

"Whatever she told you it has to be pretty important. I don't think I have ever seen you this excited." She says with a grin.

This is nothing compared to how I felt after we kissed, but now is not the time to share that with you, but some day I will. "The American Country Awards are this Thursday and they asked me to be a presenter! It's not like being asked to host the CMA's but it's pretty awesome!!!! This will be my first television appearance in over 9 months. I was starting to get a little scared that I stayed out of the public eye for too long while going through my divorce. I was afraid people forgot about me."

Liddy jumps up and rushes over to stand in front of me. "That's amazing news! I am so happy for you!" She says before throwing her arms around my neck and hugging me.

I can't believe she's in my arms. I immediately hug her back. Pulling her as close as I can. I breathe in her scent. The smell of her shampoo, a combination of lemon and lavender mixed with the scent of her vanilla and brown sugar body wash is as intoxicating to me, as the perfume she normally wears.