Chapter 38

Hunter's POV

We are loading up the buses and should be leaving within 30 minutes. Ryan our new opening act is here with his band. Devo and Justin are helping them pack their equipment on his bus. They are a great group of guys and Ryan is very talented. I got to hear him play in the studio this past week. He has a unique sound, kind of a mix between Scotty McCreery and Sam Hunt.

Liddy is across the parking lot with Harper saying goodbye to her sister. We haven't spoken much today other than this morning when she informed me she wanted to keep things totally professional between us. I know I told her I would do what she wanted, but I lied. I hate lying to her, but I love her and want her in my life as more than nanny.

I'm willing to pull out all the stops to get her to fall in love with me. I already know she cares about me at least a little. It was evident over the last few days with all the flirting and especially in the kiss. I can't forget about it and I don't plan to make it easy for her to forget about it either.

"Hey Hunter, thanks for asking Devo and Justin to help my band and I out. I really appreciate it." Ryan says with his country boy drawl.

"No problem, man. If you need anything, just ask."

Just then I hear Harper call my name. "Daddy, Daddy." So I look up and see her running towards me with something in her hand and Liddy chasing behind her.

"Harper, stop. Wait for me." Liddy shouts. I can hear panic in her voice and I know exactly why. Harps is running across the parking lot haphazardly, totally oblivious of the dangers that can occur in a busy parking lot.

Ryan and I both take off running towards Harper when I see out of the corner of my eye a red jeep backing up. The driver isn't paying attention and Liddy is right behind it. I scream "STOP!" But it's too late.

The next few minutes seem to move in slow motion. I hear the thump as the Jeep's bumper collides with Liddy's left leg. Then I see her crumple to the ground. I'm running as fast as I can, but I feel like I'm standing still. Eventually, I reach her, but not before Liz does.

"Liddy, are you okay?" I ask.

"Where's Harper?" She was just hit by a car and the first thing she does is ask about my daughter. If I didn't already love her, I would have fallen in love with her right then.

I look up expecting to see Harper in Ryan's arms and that is exactly where she is. I look at him and mouth the words thank you. He acknowledges what I said with a nod of his head. "Harper is fine. Ryan has her, see." I say as I point them out in the crowd that is starting to congregate in the studio parking lot.

Thankfully, the car stopped immediately and didn't run Liddy over, but it doesn't mean her leg isn't broken. "Has anyone called 911?" I ask.

"I did" Andy says from behind me. "An ambulance should be here any minute."

"I don't need an ambulance, I am fine." Liddy utters from the asphalt. When she tries to move both Liz and I protest and tell her to remain still.

"Liddy, please just take it easy." Liz says. I can see the worry in her eyes and I know she can see the same in mine. Neither one of us want to see her hurt or in pain. We are both very aware how much worse the situation could have been.

"Okay, but I'm really fine. I'm sure I will have one heck of a bruise. But as long as Harps is ok, that's all that matters."

"Please don't worry about Harper." I try to reassure Liddy. "Like I said earlier, Ryan has her. She is perfectly safe."

Lid looks at me and starts to cry. "I am so sorry Hunter. I lost hold of her hand when she tugged it out of mine. Before I could react she was running through the parking lot towards you. She could have been kil."