Chapter 78

Hunter's POV

I leave Renee's and drive straight to my parent's house, not even thinking to call first to see if they're home. When I pull into the drive and note both their cars, I sigh with relief. I need to talk to them, my mom especially. I know if anyone can help me make sense of what I'm feeling it's her.

She greets me at the door and notices immediately that something is wrong. She wraps me in a hug and leads me into the living room where my dad is sitting, working on his computer. After bringing me some coffee, she sits on the couch next to me.  Then they listen while I fill them in on Renee's unexpected confession.

"Wow." My dad exclaims. "I didn't see that coming."

"Me either, Leo. So Hunter, how do you feel about everything Renee shared with you?"

"I'm not sure. I know I'm angry because she didn't tell me how hurt and disappointed she was with my behavior, while we were married. If she had, I might have been able to convince my label to let me address my fans so we could deal with the issue. We'd probably still be married, raising Harper together. But she didn't because she didn't trust that I would stand by her, so instead we divorce, she leaves and Harper ends up feeling abandoned by her own mother." I pause to fight back the tears. "Knowing I'm the reason Renee left Harps is killing me. My baby girl has trust issues, especially with women and that's all because of me. Some kind of father I turned out to be?"

"Stop it, you are NOT to blame for any of this!" Mom states before reaching over to hold my hand! "You told us earlier that Renee admitted she was wrong to not tell you how much she was hurting. It's not your fault that she refused to share her true feelings."

"But I was her husband, I should have known she was upset. But I didn't because I was too wrapped up with my career, to notice. I..."

Dad interrupts. "Hunter, you were married and had a baby on the way. You needed to concentrate on work."

"But."

"No buts. You can NOT hold yourself accountable for someone else's happiness. It was Renee's choice to hide her discontent from you." Mom tries to explain.  "I'm sure you sensed something and probably asked her a hundred times if anything was wrong. That's the type of man you are. But she was the one who chose to remain quiet. She's a very good actress, so you can't keep beating yourself up over this. It's not healthy for you and it isn't going to change anything. The divorce happened."

"I just wish." I stop unsure if I should share my thoughts.

"You just wish what?"

I sigh. "I just wish she had told me how she felt about me, a lot sooner."

My parents look at each other. I can see they're shocked. Dad is the first to break the awkward silence that's developed. "So what do you mean by that comment? Do you still love Renee?"

I stand up and start pacing the room. "Yes. She's the mother of my child. I can't hate her as much as I have tried." The look of astonishment is now clearly marked on his face, actually on both their faces.

"Does this mean that you're going to break your engagement to Liddy and get back together with Renee? "  My mother asks anxiously.

"What? No! I'm in love with Liddy."

"I'm confused then." I hear the dismay in my father's voice. "How can you be in love with both of them?"

"I'm not."

"But you clearly just said..."

"I said I love Renee. I always will to some degree, but I'm not in love with her."