Chapter 41

Liddy's POV

The plane ride to Nashville was far more quiet than usual. Harper talked to me a tiny bit, which is better than yesterday, but I know she's still very upset. I really can't blame her. I let her down and I can't believe that I did that. I totally allowed my personal feelings to get in the way. I can never let that happen again especially, if Harper's involved.

When I hear my phone chime, I look down at a text from my sister.

Liz: I will be over in about an hour.

Okay. See you soon. I reply back.

I immediately head to my bedroom and start unpacking. When I open the suitcase filled with dirty laundry, I decide I have just enough time to start at least one load before Liz arrives.  Even though, Hunter's never asked me to launder his or Harper's clothes, I brought some of their things with me, this time to wash. I thought it might be a small way to make up for hurting Harper's feelings yesterday.

After sorting everything by color, I select the whites to wash first. I throw in several pair of panties and a few blouses of mine, some light colored tops and dresses of Harper's and a few T-shirts of Hunter's. As I toss in the white long sleeve Henley he was wearing last night, I smell his cologne. It instantly triggers memories of the time we went to the movies, our dinner at MK's, our kiss on the deck and how amazing it felt to be wrapped in his arms last night. However, as much as I want to relive those memories, I know it is a waste of time. 

Forty - five minutes later I hear a knock at my door. It's Liz, she's early per usual, which makes me smile. When I open the door I motion for her to come inside. "Excuse me for a second. I just need to switch some clothes over. I'll be right back." I say as I head towards the laundry room.

"So how are you doing? How are things going with Hunter?" I hear her call from my living area.

I toss the load of clothes in the dryer, set the timer and press start. "I am so confused, Liz." I say as I return to the living room. "Like I told you the other night. He is not acting like a guy who is dating someone else. He still flirts with me even though I told him it would be better for everyone if we just kept things professional between us."

"Are you sure he's dating Kelly?" Maybe they never got back together?"

"I considered that, but I've seen her text him every once in a while."

"How does that make you feel?"

 "I get so jealous, Liz and I'm not proud of it. I know I have absolutely no right to be jealous, but I can't help myself." I sigh, then walk over to the couch to sit down. 

Liz follows and sits next to me. "Liddy, it's going to be okay. It's hard enough getting over someone you love when you never see them. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you having to live on a bus with Hunter and see him every day."

"It's so hard. As much as I dread it, I wish he would just announce to everyone that he is back with Kelly. Because right now, we don't talk about her, so sometimes I forget and I get sucked into thinking that he cares about me. I have to stop finding hope in every lingering look, accidental touch or sweet comment he makes. I have to accept he picked Kelly over me!" You can hear the anger in my voice.

"I can see where that would mess with your mind. I think Mr. Hayes is one confused man. I just wish he would figure it out. You don't deserve to have him play games with you."

She's upset. I can hear it in her tone. "I agree. It just means that I have to try that much harder to avoid him. Maybe I need to spend more time with Ryan?"