Chapter 90

Hunter's POV

"Because of youuuu, Because of you."

"And that's a wrap. Great job, Hunter let's take a break everyone and meet back here in fifteen."

"Okay, Dan. Thanks."

"Hey, Hunt we're all going to grab a drink after work tonight. Want to join us? Devo asks.

"I'd like to but Harps isn't feeling well. She's been running a fever. I was up with her all night."

"So that explains why you've been off key today." He smirks. "Just kidding. You sounded great."

"Thanks man."

"Give Harper a kiss from Uncle Devo and tell her I hope she feels better soon."

"I will." I say as I walk towards the doors leading outside. "I'm going to call Liddy right now, to see how my baby girl is doing."

"Oh okay, say hi to Lid for me." He shouts before heading down the hall to the break room.

When I pull my phone out of my pocket. I have zero messages from Liddy, but ten from Renee plus three missed calls. I read each of her texts and they all say pretty much the same thing. She's sorry she upset Harper. She wants to apologize to her and that she loves and misses me so much.

I look around before listening to Ren's voice messages because I don't want anyone to overhear. I haven't told the gang that Liddy called off the wedding or that I've been seeing Renee. I know I need to and the longer I wait the harder it will be. It's just that I don't want to see the disappointment in their eyes when I explain why Lid broke the engagement.

I wasn't aware at the time, but when Renee and I started divorce proceedings, two years ago, I discovered that none of the guys from the band ever really saw us together. They liked Renee, just not with me. They all felt that she played too many head games and they were right. She still does in my opinion.

Last night while I was sitting watching Harper sleep I had a lot of time to really think about Renee and I, as a couple. What I realized is that I was wrong to try and re create a family with her, just because of Harper. I'm not in love with her. I was hoping I could fall back in love over time, but after what she did yesterday, yelling and lying to Liddy in front of Harper and then not feeling the least bit guilty about it, just proves that I can't. She's changed. I've changed. It's not going to work.

The advice my mother gave me a few days ago really hit home. Harper will be happy in any household, as long as it is filled with love, acceptance and encouragement. Seeing her with Liddy last night reminded me of that. There is such a strong bond between those two. I don't know how I ever questioned for a moment that Harper might be happier being raised by just Renee and I.

Renee tends to be critical of our daughter. She's the total opposite of Liddy who constantly works to make Harper smile with words of approval and unconditional love. I thought that maybe I alone could make up for Renee's negativity, but I realize I shouldn't have to. I want Harps to be brought up by two people who praise her instead of judge her. If it's not her biological mother then it's okay. As long as there's love and trust that's all that's going to matter to Harps. 

I also realized that I can't just live my life for Harper. I thought I could and I really tried, but I'm not happy. I want to marry a woman I can see myself growing old with. Someone I'll love with my whole heart, who'll support me and my crazy desire to make music. Somebody I can trust completely and I know will be there for me during the good times and the bad. That isn't Renee. She wasn't supportive of my career the first time around and even though she says she's matured, I know she'll never be able to share me with my fans. Heck, she can barely share my attention with our daughter. I'm unsure why Renee is so needy and insecure. I just know I don't want be with someone like that for the rest of my life.