Chapter 99

Hunter's POV

"What's wrong?" Liddy asks as she walks into the kitchen.

"I just got off the phone with the doctor's office. Harper's test results still aren't in. They said maybe later today or sometime tomorrow." I anxiously rub the back of my neck. "Why is this taking so long?"

She wraps her arms around me and pulls me close. "I know this is frustrating, but we just need to be patient a bit longer."

"But what if these test don't tell the doctor what he needs to know? The other tests will take another 3 to 4 days to come in."

"It won't come to that."

"You don't know that for certain."

"No I don't. I'm just trying to think positive thoughts. I wish you would."

"I try, but then I see her grimace when we hold her hand or notice a new bruise, I just get so worried."

"I know. I do, too." She pulls herself closer. "She's going to be fine. We just have to keep believing that."

"God, I don't know what I would do without you? There are times when you and your faith are the only things holding me together, I swear. I need you so much." I kiss the top of her head.

"I'm not going anywhere so don't worry about that. We'll make it through this. I promise."

Just then my phone chimes. I read the text and groan.

"What is it?"

"It's Renee, she wants to see Harper later."

"Oh fun." She says then covers her mouth with her hands. "Did I just say that out loud?"

I laugh. The expression on her face is adorable. "Yeah you did, but it's okay. I was thinking the same thing."

"NO, it's not! No matter how bad things are between her and I. I don't ever want to say anything bad about Renee that Harper may overhear. That's the reason so many kids have a hard time with divorce. They feel like they have to defend one parent to the other. I never want Harper to feel that way."

I smile and pull her into my arms. "You are incredible. How did I get so lucky?"

"I'm the one that got lucky. You have woman throwing themselves at you all the time and yet you fell in love with me."

"I don't have woman throwing themselves at me?"

She rolls her eyes. "Uhm, did you forget about the girl that almost made it onto the stage at your concert in Atlanta, a few months ago? If security hadn't caught her she would have tackled you."

"Oh yay." I blush. "It doesn't matter. I only have eyes for you. You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met. When I saw you the first time during your interview I couldn't take my eyes off you. I was instantly attracted. Then when I learned how kind and loving you were, I couldn't help myself. I fell madly in love with you."

She smiles. "That's exactly how it happened to me. I looked into your stormy blue eyes that day and I could barely form a sentence. I was totally tongue tied. Then after I got the job and saw what an incredible dad you were, it was all over. I couldn't stop myself from falling for you."

"I'm glad you couldn't." I smirk.

"So when does Renee want to see Harper?"

"She said noontime. But I'll still be at work. I'll text her and ask her come over later in the day."