Chapter 86

Hunter's POV

"Mom, tell me is Liddy moving?"

"I don't know for certain, but if I was her, I know I would be thinking about it."

"But why? Harper loves her. She has her own place, plus a car that's all paid for and I give her a very generous salary. I don't understand why she'd leave all that."

"Sometimes people make choices that we'll never understand, but we still have to accept them."

"But Harper needs her and I know Liddy adores Harps. How can she just walk away?"

"I know you don't want to hear this, but the minute you chose Renee, you left Liddy with no other choice. It's not like she can live with you on the bus any more when you go on tour. I'm sure Renee would not allow it. Plus it would just be too uncomfortable for Lids."

"Then I'll buy another bus, just for her."

"Would you listen to yourself? You're not even thinking rationally. You can't expect Liddy to continue working for you. Do you have any idea how painful it would be to watch you and Renee fall back in love, get married and have more children? Remember, that was suppose to be you and her, until you stopped loving her."

"I never said I don't love her."

"Okay, then let me rephrase that. When you stopped being 'in love' with her. No matter how I say it, it still leaves Liddy with a broken heart and Harper in need of a new nanny, unless Renee plans to quit working and raise Harper and any future children you'll have."

"I don't know what Renee would do. We haven't discussed it."

"Well, I'd plan on needing a nanny because I think Renee will be overwhelmed. Look how she acted when Harper was a baby."

"She wouldn't act the same way. She's grown up a lot since the divorce."

"Okay, that's good."

"Why do you say it that way?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why do you say 'okay, that's good' like you don't believe it?"

"I don't know, maybe a part of me has a hard time trusting that Renee has changed as much as you think."

"But she has... She's so much more attentive with Harper and she wants to be with me all the time."

"That's great." She says it with the same unbelieving tone as earlier. "As long as she is doing it for the right reasons then everything will be wonderful."

"There you go again, doubting her."

"I'm honestly trying to believe she's changed, but you need to understand that I saw how badly she hurt you. Dad and I were there from the first tear to the last. We haven't forgotten, unlike you. So pardon me if I choose to be a bit skeptical for now."

"Fine." I say angrily. Why is their lack of trust in Ren bothering me so much?

"I don't even know why we are talking about Renee right now. It's Liddy that your dad and I are concerned for. We saw her earlier, Hunter. She's a strong woman, but this break up has hurt her deeply. You have no idea. She's working very hard to hide it, but we saw through her façade."

"Why are you telling me this? I know I hurt her and I feel terrible."

"I'm telling you because I want you to realize that you need to let her go. You can't have her and Renee both."

"I'm not doing that."

"Yes, you are. That's why you're having such a fit that she's going to have to quit."