Chapter 80

Hunter's POV

As I prepare myself to tell Liddy the whole story of what's going on with Renee, I notice how fragile she looks. Her skin is pale and her eyes are bloodshot from crying. With her feet on the edge of the couch and her knees hugged tightly to her chest she looks like a scared child.

I want to hold her in my arms and tell her everything will be okay, but I don't. How can I do that when I'm the one that is causing her all this pain? Why didn't I listen to my dad? If I had, things would be so different.

"I love you. I want you to know that, first and foremost. I'm also incredibly sorry for everything that's happened. I, ah...."

"Please stop with the I love you's and the apologies. Just tell me what's going on."

"Okay." I clear my throat and begin sharing the events of the past week. By the time I'm finished Liddy knows every detail, even the part where Renee and I kissed.

"So that's what happened. I'm so sorry, I let her kiss me, it came as a complete surprise. If I had known that's what she was planning on doing I would have stopped her. Please believe me." I beg.

"Honestly, I don't know what to think."

I hang my head. She has every right to be confused. "I love You. You can trust me on that."

"I'm sorry, Hunter, but I can't even believe that right now." She says as she places her feet on the floor and rests her hands on her knees. All her anger is gone. She just looks defeated. "I need time alone to figure out what I'm feeling and I think you do, too."

I want so badly to ask her, what she means by that, but I don't. "I understand." I say nervously. "It's late, why don't we go to bed and we can talk some more tomorrow?"

"I'll let you know, when I'm ready to discuss things with you. Until then, I would appreciate it if you left me alone. I NEED to calm down, otherwise I might say something I may regret."

"Uhm, ah, okay."

When she heads upstairs, I follow her. As she walks past my room to her apartment I feel like someone just punched me in the stomach. The sound of the deadbolt being locked reminds me just how badly I hurt her. Tears sting my eyes. "Please Lord, help her to forgive me."

______________

The next day

Liddy's POV

"Hey Liz." I say as I step away from the door so she can walk inside. "Thanks for coming over. I know it's early."

"No problem. I could tell on the phone that you're upset."

"I am." I struggle to fight back the tears. "It's Hunter, he finally told me last night why he's been so distant. Renee admitted last Saturday that she still loves him and that she wishes he wouldn't marry me. She wants him to give her another chance, so they can raise Harper together as a family.

From the look on Liz's face I can tell she's flabbergasted. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"I wish I was."

"She told him point blank she wants him back."

"Yeah, she did and she means it, too. She's been calling and texting him daily with questions or concerns about Harper then twisting the conversations until they're talking about some romantic memory.

"No way!"

"Yes, way and it gets even worse. Last night Hunter dropped Harper off and Renee opened the door all sweaty in nothing but yoga shorts and a sports bra."