Chapter 20: New Beginning

Your PoV

I don't know how long I've been walking. It feels like we're just going in circles because of the trees I am seeing around. Yet here is Yoree still not stopping walking.

I grabbed some food from the bag I made and got something to share with Yoree.

"Yoree, are you hungry?"

She replied to me with a woof so I gave her half of the food I am holding.

"I think it will be hard for us to find a place to stay with. We must continue if we want to find a way out before you get exhausted."

After having a small break, we continued to walk again. Walk and walk, until the atmosphere around changes. I immediately noticed it and made me scan the whole place.

I could hear the sound of streaming water so I didn't waste much time and we followed where it was coming from.

I wasn't even in the place yet but Yoree was the first to find where the sound came from. As I was able to follow her, my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A group of people who live in this place is just like Hyein, but the difference was there are many of them. And... They have established good protection around their area as I see some barbed wire as their barricade, tall enough as my height.

As they saw me, they all went alert and grabbed weapons on them.

I was so amazed that I didn't react right away. I feel like this is all meant to happen. I just have to enter their group... But how?

"Who are you?!"

I tried to reply by my tongue felt tangled inside I can't form a word.

"Gaeul, you think she's the daughter of Hiro and Yeseung?"

My brows frowned as I heard it from someone. I felt Yoree circling on my foot as if she was intimidated by what was happening.  I picked her up but I made sure that I am looking at those people because they are still armed.

"Who are you? and how did you find us?"

Maybe I can convince them that I am not an enemy...

"Yoree helped me to find this place. We just need some help, we're tired and... We just want a safe place."

"Wait, Yoree? Isn't the name Yeseung also mentioned? The dog of her daughter?"

Oh freak!

"What's your name?" I heard the other girl ask after she heard what the other one said.

Should I? I'm so sorry, Hyein. I'll take this as a big help.

"I-I'm Hyein. I need help, m-my parents haven't come back since they left me in a small house with Yoree."

"Lily, check her. Make sure she's not infected.

As I heard that, I felt like I have to continue what I just started. I have to survive this place, I still haven't started any of my plans yet.

Three people went out and suddenly checked me.

The other one looked at me as if she was thinking of something.

There's no way they caught me already.

"She's not affected by the sunlight. But her hand is freezing. She also has pale skin."

"I-I have a condition, this is also the reason why the people didn't let us in. They thought I was infected."

She looked at the person inside first before she looked at me.

"I'm sorry to tell you, but your parents sacrificed themselves to save us. That's why they haven't been back. They mentioned that they had left their daughter somewhere here in the woods." as she said that, I knew that my plan had worked.

They let me inside their place and accommodate me immediately.

I guess I need to pretend now that I am Hyein.

"So, what kind of condition is that? Do you feel cold or it's just your skin that is cold? " Lily asked.

"Uhm, I don't know... My parents haven't discovered it too. But yeah, I feel cold. " I just said.

This is probably the biggest lie I've ever made. I don't want it too, but it feels like fate is the one who's pushing me in this situation. I should grab it as long as it's in front of me.

"Here, use this. " the other girl said as she gave me a scarf and other clothes to keep me warm.

I used the scarf on Yoree as I noticed that she's been feeling cold a while ago too.

"I'm Gaeul, and the one who checked you was Lily. I'm sorry that you have to know about your parents in this way."

"We tried to find you after your parents said they have left you somewhere here. But it was hard to leave this place because we already established a safe place for the others." Lily said.

Suddenly, Gaeul walked to me and waved her hands in front of my face. I already knew what she was doing so I did the next thing, I have to continue this pretending.

"What are you doing?" Lily asked.

"So, you're really blind."

"O-oh, yeah..."

"It was surprising that you found us. This is like the edge of the forest."

"Just like what I said, Yoree found this. I've been with her since my parents left me there...  Somehow I managed to be aware of my surroundings." I reasoned out.

"You seem to be a strong one even if you're blind... You're just 14, right?" she asked.

"H-huh?"

"Your father said you're only 14."

"A-ah yeah. "

"That means we have to protect you. The oldest in here is only 38, It's my father. He went out to get some food to stock."

"Protect me?"

"Well, yeah. We group everyone here. Gaeul's dad is leading the people here. There are five people in their thirties. While the people in their twenties are responsible for watching around, making sure that the youngest in here is safe."

"That means it's not just me who's below 20?"

"Unnie! The food is ready!"

Gaeul and Lily looked at the girl who called them. I saw a girl who was probably the same age as Hyein.

"Oh! There's a new member?"

"She's Hyein."

"Hyein? You mean the Hyein of uncle Hiro and auntie Yeseung?"

"Uncle and auntie?" I asked.

"Just formalities. Anyway, yes, she's Hyein. Hyein, this is Leeseo. She's 15, a year older than you."

"Woah~ you're just 14?"

"Uhm... Yeah."

"Let's go inside the tent, the food is ready. After that, we'll try to give you your job."

"She's blind, is it even necessary?"

"It's okay... I-I want to help too."

"That's good, let's go."