Chapter 21: New Identity

Third Person

As Y/N followed the other girls, she noticed that everything around was made by the things you can also see in the forest. There are some tents but there are also cabin-like houses that were made from the woods and leaves you can get from nature.

"Unnie, how's — oh... We have a new member?" A girl asked who was preparing the food.

"Hyein, this is Kyujin. She's two years older than you." Gaeul said.

"Hi, Hyein!"

"Hi," Y/N said.

Kyujin noticed that the latter didn't even look at her. As if something's wrong with her.

"She's blind," Leeseo whispered.

Pretending to be blind... Y/N sat at the vacant spot as the others did the same. Lily helped Y/N since she thinks Y/N is blind and needed help.

"How many are you in here?" Y/N asked curiously.

"Fifty, including the other people who went out. They only go out whenever the sun is up. Because we all know that vampires can't endure the sun." Gaeul said.

"You'll meet the others later. They are in the other tents." Gaeul added.

"Each tent has members assigned. The other tents prepare food for their own."

"Uhm... May I ask if, what's going to happen to me now?" Y/N asked.

"Well, you don't have to worry. I'll check the other tent if they still have some space for you. But for now, you can stay here since we always welcome newcomers here." Lily said.

Y/N just nodded and eat like a normal person. She also gives some to Yoree.

"So, how did you survive alone?" Gaeul asked.

"Yoree helps me. Actually, I have some food with me. Yoree was the one who get that from me."

"I realized that I can't just stay in that house where my parents left me. So I decided to give it a try, with also the help of Yoree."

"That's sick, don't you see how dangerous this place is?"

"I'm blind... I mean if I'll die, I'll die." Y/N said.

"I'm amazed at your courage. But Kyujin is right. This place is dangerous. Wild animals rarely go here, that just shows that there's a possibility vampires had scared them away. In short, vampires are our enemies here." Lily said.

Meanwhile, Y/N is complacent since she knows vampires don't go here. Unless they'll be out to find victims like they are short of feeders.

After they ate, Gaeul asked Y/N to follow them. Lily got her back as the two youngers remained in the tent to do some chores.

"It's important that the people here know you and your condition. We were trained to be alert. We are not sure if one of us is infected already as we turned our backs." Gaeul said.

"Also, we'll try to look for your tent," Lily said.

Y/N nodded and just let Lily support her. She already had to keep it in her mind, she's not Y/N. She's Hyein, 14 years old, not immortal. Just a normal being who can't see.

"Gaeul, anything I can do?" As Y/N spotted a new person, she remained as if she didn't see them.

"Who's that?"

"She's Hyein, the daughter of Hiro and Yeseung. She went here with her dog."

"She's not infected? She looks pale."

"It's her condition. But she's not, starting from now she'll be living with us." Gaeul said.

The girl looked at Y/N as it walked closer and waved her hand.

"She's blind," Lily said.

"Hi... I'm Hyein. Nice to meet you." Y/N said.

"If you're expecting me to accept her in this tent, I'm sorry. We are loaded here."

"Haewon, chill. You don't have to act like that." Lily said.

"I came here to introduce her. At least you know she'll be living with us." Gaeul said.

"Where're the others?" Lily asked.

"Sullyoon and Bae are sleeping. Jiwoo and Jinni are doing something."

"Okay, but keep them informed that there's a new member," Gaeul said.

After that, they left the tent. They went to the other's tent and Y/N met new people who were also below 20. They are the members who are assigned in doing chores.

"I think she can stay here. Liz can share her bed with her." Karina said who is 22, the leader of their tent.

"Liz, that's fine, right?"

"Of course, It's nice to meet you, Hyein," Liz said.

The day continued and for some reason, Y/N forgot that necessary thing she needs to remember.

The sun has set and more people came. Those are the older people who go out to look for their needs.

"She's Hyein, I already assigned where she's going to sleep. I'll let Karina give her her task." Gaeul said to her father.

Y/N just acted like she was listening but she was looking at something else.

"Make yourself welcome, Hyein. Anyway, we were able to get some food we could stock. There are also some plants we can start to grow so we'll have a source of them." Y/N heard.

"Where did you get these deer? This is a huge deal."

"Almost outside the forest. I know it is. We can start taking care of them and use them. We also got some fish nearby. I guess this forest isn't empty in the first place."

"Hyein, do you want to rest? You're probably tired since you got here." Lily said.

"Uh, yeah."

"Wait, I'll call Liz to accompany you back to your tent."

Y/N just nodded and waited there. Slowly, she's realizing that she needs to take blood, or else hunger will haunt her.

Her eyes followed the older people who were carrying out the deer to their new place. Y/N had convinced herself she can't take human blood. It will be dangerous since everyone can suspect everyone.

"We're still trying to contact the upper border. I hope they will let us in this time. Judging by numbers, they will take down the gate and help us."

"But it's not going to be easy too. Let's just see what will happen."

Y/N just continues to listen until Lily came back with Liz. She helped Y/N to go back to their tent so she could rest already.

"If you want to rest, you can already rest. But you can wait till dinner is ready so you can eat."

"Uhm, it's okay. I think I had enough a while ago."

"Okay, goodnight."

"Thanks, you too."

After that, Liz went out leaving Y/N alone in their tent. Y/N looked at Yoree who was also growing tired at the moment. She put on a scarf on the ground so Yoree could lie there.

"Good night."