જ Self-Love Symphony જ ☾Carmi☽

Book Title: Self-love Symphony

Author: bangtanrewinds

Reviewer:Read-aholic2006

♡♡♡

(NOTE: This review is based on a one-shot.)

♡♡♡

Title: 10/10

Now, who doesn't love a good alliteration? Not only is the title catchy, but it encapsulates the main theme of the story.

Cover: 10/10

The design isn't very complicated, but the emphasis on the image of the main character snatches a reader's attention. The colour scheme is both striking and relates to the romance genre. Red is the colour of passion, love and roses. All the other elements are clearly visible.

Blurb: 10/10

There's only one or two grammatical errors, but nothing conspicuous. The blurb is merely an extract from the book, a brief window into the story that lays the foundation for curiosity. It is then ended off with a rhetorical question meant to ignite interest within readers.

Creativity/Originality: 10/10

This story hadn't gone in the direction I thought it would. I expected the MC, Jungkook, to have found love once again in the form of an irresistible young lady. However, that did not happen at all. And I'm glad that it didn't. This story took a turn down a lane I haven't been introduced to in any Wattpad book—instead of that exciting, heated tension between the easily identifiable OTP, this one-shot revolves around one character learning to bandage his wounds and love himself.

Plot/Flow: 19/20

There isn't any plot development because the storyline is very basic. In this one-shot, Jungkook merely reflects on his broken love story and decides to write a love letter to himself. This action is both powerful and symbolic. It marks his growth and acceptance of his flawed nature, shedding his old skin.

Although, readers learn of Jungkook's past, I would've wanted the writer to dig further into his heart-eyed teenage years. She could provide more details on what had destroyed his infatuation. Yes, we know that his love interest had chosen the playboy of the college instead of him. He had never confessed his love for her because he didn't need to—she knew how he felt. But the author could explore the emotions that the speaker had felt at that time, explaining the events that had led up to his tainted opinion on romantic relationships.

She could even go as far as to describe what this girl looked like, adding more meat to her story with vivid descriptions.

Characters: 10/10

We are only properly introduced to one major character—Jungkook. He has proudly risen from the ashes of who he once had been—a naive, love-struck teenager. Now he seems more realistic, more mature and detached from that idealistic image of love.

The characterization in this story is limited due to the lack of focus on other characters, but I find it rather refreshing. So many other stories feature an abundance of various personalities, it can become slightly disorientating to keep track of them all.