The Artist's Glory

Christmas had officially come and gone. Thankfully, it was much less chaotic than it was last year. I was only slightly nervous that my parents would show up again, but luckily my paranoia was put to rest once the next day rolled around. But today was December 28th.

I had to get to the museum early so I could set up my exhibit the way I wanted. A strong feeling of pride but also gratitude had washed over me once I was able to stand back and examine my efforts. But of course what I was most proud of was the center of it all. 'Ma Belle Fleur'. It's French for 'my beautiful flower'. I can recognize the improvement from the first version of the piece. After all, it's been a year.

"The contrast is stunning." Mrs. Kim inspected everything as well. "Have you thought about what you're going to say when the company arrives?"

"Yeah." I nodded confidently. I refuse to look unprepared in front of professionals. I've never rehearsed lines before as if I were reading a script, but I was about to sound like a whole different person. I couldn't mess this up.

"Hwang Hyunjin?" A sophisticated man approached me wearing a black suit.

"Hello." I bowed formally. "How are you?"

"I'm very well, thank you. I'm Seo Eunkwang and this is my associate, Lee Minhyuk. I'm with the Seoul Art Association." That would be the company that's holding the event in which I had won. "I just wanted to say congratulations. We were inspired by your work and thought you would be best suited as our winner." He seemed like a very nice man.

"Thank you very much." I smiled. "It's an honor."

Mr. Lee cleared his throat wanting a chance to speak. He, on the other hand, seemed much more intimidating.

"Hyunjin, I am one of the directors at Pratt Institute." I had absolutely no idea where that was. "I was also heavily involved in the deliberation process. But with the look of your academics, extracurriculars, and of course your art, I would like to personally offer you a full ride scholarship." Mr. Lee was smiling once he explained his purpose for being here.

"Wow, thank you so much." I politely smiled as well. "Where is Pratt Institute exactly? I don't think I've ever heard of it."

"It's in New York."

"As in...the United States?"

"Yes, that's correct." He nodded.

"That's...wow." I was speechless. "Thank you so much, I don't know what else to say."

"You don't need to decide today, of course." He handed me a business card with his contact information, as well as the school's. "But when you're ready to further discuss, I'll be a call away."

The turn out for my exhibit was bigger than I expected. I knew this was a massive deal, but not to this extent. Art critics from all over Seoul came to view my artwork and ask me questions about different pieces. At first, it was overwhelming, but thankfully I was able get used to the attention.

I knew to dress nice, but I was beyond grateful that I wore a suit. My parents said it was necessary for me to own at least five. I thought they were crazy, but this may be the first time they've ever done me a favor. I felt like my picture was being taken every minute whether I was looking at the camera or not.

"Hyunjin, what was the inspiration behind 'Flora Famille'?" One critic had asked. I was more confident talking about pieces like that. That one was very special to me.

 That one was very special to me