Say Goodbye to The NYC Sky

"Gotta make sure this is on the right side for now, okay?" Jungkook moved the tassel on my cap to its proper position and nodded in satisfaction. "Well, you did it." He smiled brightly. "You're graduating."

"I feel like you should be the one graduating again."

"I did a month's worth of work, you did the rest. Don't sell yourself short, alright? I'm proud of you."

I couldn't believe I actually passed all my classes. For a while, there wasn't any doubt in my mind that I'd have to retake everything and do this all over again. But once I came back to New York, I went into overdrive and did everything in my power to get this degree.

"Thank you." I said shyly. "For everything."

"Of course." He smiled. "I'll always look out for you."

"And you're sure you can't move to Seoul?" I whined, desperately wishing I could see him all the time.

"I'll visit, don't worry."

"You better." I made sure to look extra threatening, but he was never fazed by my attempts.

Once I was sat with my graduating class, I was quick to look around for my friends. But with Hongjoong's striking blue hair, they weren't too hard to spot. Once we made eye contact, Seonghwa started to wave like a proud mom. I started to laugh once I made out what they were saying. Seonghwa said 'Joongie, look I found Hyunjin' and then he just nodded and said 'yes, honey, I know'.

I'm going to miss them dearly. I doubt they'll stay in New York for long, but I've gotten so used to spending time with them. It's crazy how I grew up with Seonghwa, playing tag in his backyard with Wooyoung and Mingi. And my first impression of Hongjoong was when he tried to fight Wooyoung at Minho's party until San punched him in the face. It's crazy to see how far we've all come.

Then there's Jungkook. I don't know what I would've done without him. I believe it was fate for us to be roommates. What are the odds that it's Jimin's childhood best friend? Being the reason he was able to reconnect with Wooyoung gave me a small sense of purpose. They both needed that, it was therapeutic. Now I don't need to worry about us ever drifting apart through passing years because he'll always mean a lot to my family. He's a good person, a very caring soul. He protects those around him and never backs down. I've learned a lot from him and I'm grateful he came into my life.

"Hyunjin Hwang." My name was called and I walked up the stage. I hadn't realized I was completely spaced out up until that moment. I looked over at Hongjoong and Jungkook, watching as they stood and screamed obnoxiously while Seonghwa just smiled and clapped like a normal person. I gave them a thumbs up and that's when Seonghwa started to tear up a bit.

I know they're really proud of me. Everyone in my life has watched me hit rock bottom and this time I think I'll actually make it out okay. I'm sure I scared them to no end every single day, but they never gave up on me. I'll never forget that.

"Hyunjin!" Jungkook shouted. The ceremony had finally ended so I was lost in a sea of people. Luckily I snapped my head towards his voice and found him instantly. I walked over with my arms already stretched out and a smug look on my face. Once I was within reach, he picked me up and nearly suffocated me. "I'm so proud of you, you finally did it."

"Fuck college, I'm never doing this shit again." I laughed once he put me down.

"And now you never have to!" He exclaimed with a bright smile.

I turned around to Seonghwa and Hongjoong, looking at their very different reactions. Hongjoong seemed at peace; very satisfied. Seonghwa had to constantly wipe under his eyes because he was so emotional.

"Hwa, why do you keep crying?" I gave him a big hug, then rocked us back and forth.

"Because you did it. All I've wanted for you is success, love, and happiness. You've just come a long way in such a short amount of time and I'm so proud of you for that."

"I hope you know you're a part of that. You've done so much for me, I could never thank you enough." I looked over at Hongjoong who stood there silently as he enjoyed the heartfelt moment. "You too." I waved him over and hugged the both of them. "You coming back to Korea any time soon?"

"Let us live a couple years out here in peace and quiet, and then maybe we'll see." Hongjoong nodded.

"Peace and quiet? What are you talking about? New York is not peace and quiet."

"I mean no stray kids coming into our apartment." He smiled, lightly scratching the back of my head. "It's not like we can get married here. I mean we could, but not with everyone back at home."

I've never missed Seoul so badly. Within the first few months of living in Manhattan, I had no desire to go back to Korea. Now I just can't wait to leave. All of my things are packed and ready to go, then that's it. I'll be back on my way this weekend. No more New York City.

The four of us went back to the apartment and did what we always did. Watch some random movie and order pizza. It was simple, but it's what we loved to do together. These moments will be missed dearly. Until next time then.