New Destination

That was the most excruciating 15 hours of my life. But at least I was finally in New York. I felt like I was in a movie. Everything was already so different even though I was still at the airport waiting for my Uber. The people were loud, they seemed a lot less clean if I'm being honest, and much less friendly.

Finally the car arrived and the driver helped me with my suitcases. My plan was to stay quiet the entire time so I really hope he doesn't try to talk to me.

"So where you coming from?" I jinxed myself.

"South Korea." With the help of Felix, my English was nearly fluent. That took a lot of stress off my shoulders.

"Oh, I see." He sounded very intrigued. "I can hear the accent." I didn't realize I had an accent, but I guess everyone does and they just don't know it. "So what are you here for then?"

"School." He should know that since he's taking me to Pratt, but I guess Americans aren't so bright.

"Nice! What school?"

If he wasn't focusing on the road, he'd notice my judging side eye. "Pratt."

"So you're an artsy kid. Very nice, very nice."
There was an awkward tension after that. I could tell he wanted to talk, but it was quite obvious I had no interest. "So I must be taking you to the dorms, right?"

"Yeah."

Are all New Yorkers this talkative?

After a painful 30 minute car ride, we finally made it to the address I was given. Once again, he helped me out with my suitcases and wished me luck.

For whatever reason, the school put me in the Willoughby Residence Hall. I thought it was for upper-class undergrads, but I guess they didn't know what to do with a foreign student.

Room 01A. That would be me. I knocked on the door, but there was no answer. Probably because there was music blasting from inside. I knocked again a bit harder this time which ultimately worked.

"Uh, who are you?" The door swung open and I was immediately intimidated. He was covered in tattoos and had multiple lip piercings.

"New roommate." I was painfully shy, but his eyes lit up once he smiled.

"Right, my bad. I forgot you were coming today. Come in." I followed him inside and looked around. It was surprisingly spacious. "I'm Jungkook, by the way."

"I'm Hyunjin."

"You're clearly not from here." He laughed. "Where you from?"

"South Korea."

"Yeah, I figured that, but where?"

"Seoul."

"Okay." He nodded, seeming satisfied. "I'm from Busan."

My eyes widened in shock. I suddenly felt much more comfortable around him. I'm betting that's why they made us roommates.

"My friends go to school there actually."

"Oh, sick." He smiled. "Which school?"

"Pukyong National."

"Damn, you must have smart friends then." I nodded and faintly smiled. "So this'll be your space." It was almost as big as my room back home. He sat on my bed and pushed down on the mattress. "It's nice here." I nodded again. "You don't talk much, do you." That's kind of one of the worst things to say to an introverted, shy person, but I'll have to let it slide.

"I just listen." I shrugged.

"Good to know." I could tell he took a mental note of that. "Well, Hyunjin." He stood up and clapped his hands together. "Have you ever been to New York?" I shook my head. "Would you like to see it?" I started to smile and nodded.