Chapter 280 - Do you want to live? (4)

Naturally, the king could not hold back his anger and his body started to shake.

"Y, you dare to speak that way to me-!"

However, all the king could do was stare at Toonka.
Part of it was because he himself was weak, while the other part was because he could not tell the knights to attack Toonka.

The Whipper Kingdom was in an odd state right now.

The king only had the title of, 'king,' while the government and all administration fell to the military.

Toonka was the center of the citizens and soldiers of that military. That was why even the knights guarding the king did not dare to act rash toward Toonka.

They were people who joined the royal faction to save their own lives and maintain their benefits, so although they held their swords up out of loyalty, they did not dare to actually attack Toonka.

"...You!"

The king was aware of that as well.
As a result, he could only glare at Toonka in anger. Toonka observed the king with even more anger in his eyes.
He then resumed speaking.

"I."

Toonka knew himself quite well.

"I don't have anyone above nor below me."

That was why he could lead the way no matter where he was.

"And killing strong people is my hobby."

He had stood in the vanguard and killed the ones that smelled the strongest. Of course, there were times that he had lost to those strong individuals, however, the enemies all eventually ended up avoiding him.

Whether that was because they were scared or because they found him to be dirty, but either way, they avoided him.
That was the important part.

Toonka looked down at the king who was willing to surrender in order to save his own life. The king felt as if he had become prey. He too had avoided Toonka in the past.
He had given the excuse that he avoided Toonka because he was stupidly strong and wild, however, the truth was that he had avoided Toonka out of fear.
The king's gaze slightly missed Toonka and headed downward.

Toonka's voice could still be heard in his ears.

"Only think about how we will achieve victory if you wish to live."

'If you wish to live.'

The king gulped at that statement.
Both anger and fear were making his body shake. One of the royal faction's knights started to speak at that moment.
He had the title of being the captain of the guard knights.

"Your majesty, what do you think about moving elsewhere if you have finished delivering your message?"

The Knight Captain flinched after seeing Toonka's gaze turn toward him.
He was not someone who had become the Knight Captain because of his strength.

For a kingdom like the Whipper Kingdom where magic was abnormally developed in the past, the knights were weaker in exchange. The mages had obstructed the growth of strong knights because they wanted to maintain their dominance, and thanks to that, the, 'knights,' of the Whipper Kingdom were likely to be people who gained opportunities with political influence or had a talent in sucking up rather than strong individuals.

"Ahem, commander, why don't you complete your tasks in peace as well?"

Toonka stared at the Knight Captain and the king before turning around. He then walked toward Chief Harol's side.

Anybody could tell that he was ignoring the Knight Captain and the king.

"You damn-"
"Your majesty."