Chapter 312 - Night (2)

Drip.
A drop of the black liquid fell to the ground.
The ground was about to turn black.

Crack!
A tree trunk pierced into the spot. The originally brown trunk turned black while the ground returned to its original color.

"...This, just what is this?!"

One of the Empire's knights subconsciously shouted out before his body started to shake. He raised his head after feeling an odd sensation.

"Aaaaaah!"

Shhhhhhh-
A large black trunk brushed past above his head as leaves fluttered.

"Crazy. The trees have gone crazy."

He plopped down on the ground.
He could see all of Section 7 as he sat there and looked out.

It was alive and moving.

This large area called Section 7 was roaring and moving. It was all because of the large tree trunks that suddenly started to grow.

Baaaaang! Baaaaang!
The Empire's forces could not run toward the airship even as the dead mana bombs were going off. They could not do so even if they wanted to run.

Shhhhhhh-

Their bodies curled up in fear every time they heard the leaves rustling.
There were trees that were darker than the night by their feet and above their heads.

They wanted to run, but the trees were faster than them.
These trees that should be staying in one spot were freely running wild all over Section 7.

"W, what kind of tree is that?!"

The alchemist in charge looked pale as he held onto the railing of the airship.
All he could see were the tree trunks following the red-haired commander's hands in order to gobble up the dead mana bombs.

"I, I must inform the superiors!"

He gave an order to one of his subordinates next to him.

"I, immediately contact the Tower Master-nim and his highness! A, and, and!"

He started to think as his lips were shaking. However, he could not think properly after seeing this unexpected variable.

Trees that ate up dead mana had appeared.
There were no areas of Section 7 that were becoming desolate. In fact, black tree trunks were appearing by all residential buildings in order to protect the homes from the explosions.

Boom!

The alchemist turned his head after hearing a noise.

He looked to the South.
The golem at that entrance was falling down.
He could see someone looking at him from that area at the same time. He couldn't see the gaze to be specific.
However, he could tell that the person there was looking in his direction when he saw the black robe facing toward him.

That was Mary, the famous Roan Kingdom's necromancer.
She was the only necromancer on the Western continent, the last of her kind.

This alchemist-cum-black mage could not hide the scorn and disgust he had for the necromancer.
He could see the black mana shining around the necromancer. She had probably absorbed the remaining dead mana after she purified the black despair.
The necromancer soon swayed and had to be supported by a Dark Elf.

'She's still much weaker than the Tower Master-nim.'

Thinking about that fact cleared the alchemist's mind. He turned away and looked forward as he gave the order.

"Detonate the bombs as quickly as possible!"

The subordinate's gaze became serious.
Detonating the bombs faster meant that the airship would depart faster as well. The alchemist nodded his head at his subordinate's gaze and continued to speak.