Chapter 290 - Conductor (3)

The Cat Knight, Sir Rex, did not know much about administration or politics.

"...A land for magic and alchemy-"

That was why he could only imagine a vague idea of that rather than pinning down the details.

"What do you mean by that?"
"It's simple."

Of course, it was not a simple issue. However, Cale was thinking about it in simple terms.

"Magic and alchemy have a lot of similarities. The small city will have a way to protect itself if we can gather people and provide a strong foundation for them.

He could hear the invisible Raon's voice.

– Human! Will Rosalyn get a new home? Let's build one for Goldie gramps too!

Cale simply ignored Raon. What he didn't know was that he would end up regretting this in the future.
Raon was being serious.

"Young master-nim, why is that beneficial for the Empire and the Roan Kingdom?"
"For the first twenty years, the Roan Kingdom's palace and the Mogoru side's leaders will work together to select the mayor."

The mayor. It was the person with the most power in a city.

"Doesn't that just mean that the Roan Kingdom wants to recommend a mayor for twenty years in order to control the city?"

Sir Rex was certain that, although it was called a partnership, that there would be no recommendations that were from the Mogoru side. Cale nodded his head and added on.

"You're right. A Roan Kingdom's person will be the mayor for twenty years."

It meant that the land belonged to the Roan Kingdom for twenty years.

"After that, we guarantee that we will help support the city to become a truly free city where the citizens will have a say on the leadership. This will all be announced to the Western continent."

Rex's expression turned odd as if he could not believe Cale.

"Just tell me flat out that you want me to give you some land."

His voice sounded sharp and critical.

"Although it is called an offer, aren't you basically telling me to give you land for making me the Emperor?"
"Well..."

Cale crossed his legs and leaned back into the chair.

"Roan has the strength to do that."

Cale followed that up by shaking his head.

"However, if we do that, the Empire would disappear."
"...Just what?"
"The Jungle, Whipper Kingdom, and Caro Kingdom. Do you think these three places would leave the Empire's land alone? They will try to make deals to steal land just like the Roan Kingdom is doing, or they would start wars in order to steal the land."

Sir Rex was at a loss for words.

The other three kingdoms had more negative feelings toward the Empire than the Roan Kingdom did, preventing Rex from antagonizing the Roan Kingdom as well.
The crazy priestess Cage had already explained everything the Empire had done in the Western continent to Rex.

"...Then do you truly mean that you want to turn it into a free city after controlling it for twenty years?"
"Yes."

He answered without any hesitation.

"That's the only way for the other kingdoms to accept it."

That was also the only way to get the Magic Tower and Alchemists' Bell Tower to be created in the city.