Chapter 283 - What the wind swept in (3)

Boom!
The alchemists and mages created another dirt pillar.
Cale didn't need to see the battlefield to know what was going on.

The alchemists and mages had appeared to support the roof of the palace when Sir Rex and his group had used magic bombs to blow it up.
They had scattered some unknown fluid which responded to the alchemists' and mages' mana and had shot up into the sky. Then the alchemists put a black thread of unknown origin around the pillar.

Once the black thread disappeared into the dirt pillar, it had turned into a sturdy black pillar.

Cale was only looking at the Flame Dwarves as he started to speak.

"An alchemist's job is to always come up with something new."

Boom!
The black pillar continued to become larger until it turned into a tower.
The towers continued to grow in number until there was a total of seven towers.

The mages and alchemists would get to the top of these towers and launch long-range attacks from there.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-
Cale looked toward the Dwarf Chief through the sound of the trumpet.

Alchemy.
The alchemy of this world was similar to alchemy on Earth.
Their goal was to create gold.

However, the methods to do that were different.
The alchemist of the Western continent sought to use natural elements to create gold. That was why these alchemists could not help but become close to mana which had the purest natural element.

'But according to the Dragon half-blood, the alchemy that the White Star is looking for is not aiming to create gold.'

The ancient Dragon Eruhaben's voice could be heard in Cale's mind.

'Do you know why they are researching dead mana?'

Dead mana bombs. That was completely unrelated to alchemy if their goal was to create gold. However, the White Star's Alchemists' Bell Tower had partnered with the Empire for around twenty years to research dead mana bombs.

'I originally thought that they just wanted dead mana bombs to use as weapons, but I realized that I was wrong after hearing what the Dragon half-blood had to say.'

Cale had never seen the ancient Dragon looking so serious.
Eruhaben had a shocked yet fearful expression on his face as he explained.

'What the Alchemists' Bell Tower wants is mana, not gold.'

Cale stiffened up after hearing that as well.
The reason they researched dead mana.

'They want to create mana.'

Water, fire, wind, earth, and wood. Mana exists like each of these five basic elements of nature.
It was one of the foundations for power in the world.
And they were a group that was trying to create mana.

'After hearing about that from the Dragon half-blood, I learned that the Alchemists' Bell Tower is a higher-ranking organization than Arm.'

Cale completely understood.
He could not figure out what the crazy White Star wanted, however, that bastard had done all sorts of crazy shit, and creating mana was just one of them.

What would happen if that crazy bastard who would even attempt to create a chimera was able to create mana?

'It'd become a total mess.'

There would be no chaos like that one.
That was why Cale made up his mind once again.

He was going to completely destroy the Alchemists' Bell Tower.
This was the first step to getting that done.
Cale looked toward Kanelle, the chief of the Flame Dwarf tribe, and started to speak. He could see the shaking pupils in the chief's eyes.