22: Shadows Unveiled

"WHAT?!" The collective gasp echoed through the room, leaving everyone, except Nico, in stunned disbelief.

"Are you referring to Lance? Ian and Crainer's former best friend and associate?" inquired Ambrew, his eyes wide with disbelief.

"That explains why he's the Shadowcaster. He wants revenge on Ian! Is that why you kept it from him?" GarryBlox speculated.

"Yeah, pretty much," Nico admitted, his expression serious.

"But can we keep this secret for long?" Zud questioned.

"We can't, obviously. We should keep this from Ian until we think it's the right time," declared Jerome.

"What time is it now? We have to get to our swordsmith before the Shadowcaster does," urged Ambrew.

"It's 4:30. The market opens at 6," Kate informed, checking the time.

"Should we get there early, even before it opens? Our swordsmith is usually quite early," Zud suggested.

"Wait," Mitzefy interjected.

"What is it, Mitz?" Biffle inquired.

"Shouldn't we talk to the divine being first? To see if he knows about the Shadowcaster's plans?" Mitzefy proposed.

"That's a great idea, but who's going to sacrifice themselves to summon the divine being?" Nico pondered.

Amidst the silent glances exchanged, no one volunteered.

"I'll do it, since no one's volunteering," Ambrew bravely stepped forward.

"That's the spirit, Ambrew," Jerome commended.

"DEMIURGE!" a dazzling light filled the room, revealing PatP, the Divine Being.

"Hello, friends. It's been a while since we last spoke," PatP greeted.

Noticing the absence of SSundee and Sigils, PatP inquired, "Where's Ian and Sigils?"

"Ssigils had to esscort SSundee out of the meeting as I had to reveal the Shadowcaster's identity. If he heard it, he would be traumatised," Nico explained.

"I see. So you know that Lanceypooh is the Shadowcaster?" PatP confirmed, and everyone nodded solemnly.

"These are really difficult things to accept. Anyway, what did you summon me for?" PatP asked.

"You've said you'd keep an eye on Fox; what's he up to?" Kate questioned.

"That's something I've not been asking often. Hold on, let me summon the Guardian of Hell," PatP replied.

After a while, a tall figure, about 6 feet tall, appeared—a heterochromia with greenish-blue and red eyes. He seemed different, a bit nervous this time.

"Slogo, are you okay? You're not your usual self," PatP expressed concern.

"I'm not my usual self, Pat. I know," Slogo admitted.

"What's up with you, then?" GarryBlox inquired.

"Remember the guy you told me to keep an eye on?" Slogo asked. "Yes, I did ask you that," PatP replied. "Why?"

"He found a way to communicate with the living, and he used that advantage to communicate with the citizens! Maybe soon after, he might tell the Shadowcaster and serial killers about Nico's plan!" Slogo revealed.

"What do we do?" Nico asked. "If we want to revive him, he would tell the serial killers the plan!"

"That's true. What can we do?" Biffle added.

"Random question, can you lock people up?" Jerome asked Slogo.

"Uh, yeah? Why'd you ask?" Slogo replied.

"Continue to keep a close eye on Fox. If he does anything suspicious, keep him locked and interrogate him," Jerome suggested.

"Alright," Slogo agreed.

"I think that's all we have," GarryBlox concluded.

"Also, is it possible for you to spawn on your own?" Kate asked the two guardians.

"Yes, we can. Only for emergencies, though," Slogo replied.

The Guardians respawned, and Ambrew returned to his senses. After explaining everything to him, Ambrew asked, "Now it's 5; should we head to the market?"

"We can head off now. But who's gonna do it?" Jerome inquired.

"We can!" Sigils burst through the door, with an irritated SSundee. "You gotta drag me here like that?" he complained.

"I think it's best we have only two people; otherwise, the Shadowcaster could detect that many assassins," Biffle suggested.

"Or we could get undercover assassins to keep an eye out," Zud added.

"That's a great idea. So who's coming?" Mitzefy asked.

"Biffle and Nico, how 'bout ya?" Jerome suggested.

"That's fine by me and Nico," Biffle replied.

After a long walk, Sigils, Biffle, Nico, and SSundee reached the market where their swordsmith was located. "Alright, Sigils and I will talk to the swordsmith. Biffle, Nico, you will be on standby," SSundee directed, and Biffle and Nico got into position.

SSundee and Sigils walked for a while until they arrived at a specific tent with a man wearing a fox mask.

"Has anyone suspicious come to your tent?" SSundee asked.

"I think Karan did, and if I'm not wrong, I think he's a serial killer," the swordsmith replied.

"Did you tell him where our base was?" Sigils asked.

"I told him I'd only speak to assassins," the swordsmith confirmed.

...

...

...

"Very well, Alxton."