49: Night Market Arc; Whispers of the Demon's Vase

As Henwy carried Aiden on his shoulder through the darkened forest, uncertainty lingered in the air. "So, are we heading in the right direction?" Henwy questioned, looking for reassurance.

"Y-Yes! We are!" Aiden replied, his voice carrying a hint of unease.

"Are you scared?" Henwy inquired, curious about the emotions stirring within the young man.

"Yeah... not just about the demon, well maybe a little, but maybe... you?" Aiden confessed, laying bare his feelings.

Halting abruptly, Henwy set Aiden down and knelt to his eye level. "Listen, I'm so sorry for being rude to you. It's just that my attitude changes sometimes; I can't control it."

"Is that MPD?" Aiden asked, trying to understand.

"Yeah, I'll say that's close," Henwy replied. "Now, where's Alxton?"

Spotting a fish demon attempting to climb a tree towards Alxton, Henwy swiftly moved to the rescue, slashing the demon's vase and saving the swordsmith. Aiden and Alxton expressed their relief at seeing each other unharmed.

Adding to the conversation, Alxton mentioned that Sigils had asked to understand Henwy, surprising him. As they ventured deeper into the forest, Henwy sensed danger and pulled the swordsmiths back, warning them of an impending threat.

"Show yourself! Or I'll make you show yourself!" Henwy demanded, ready for confrontation.

A porcelain vase rolled out of the bushes, and a demon emerged, acknowledging Henwy as an assassin. The demon's grotesque appearance sent shivers down their spines.

"Wow, he's ugly," Aiden whispered, unable to contain his reaction.

As the night market became a battleground, demons swarmed, and villagers fought desperately for survival. Swordsmiths struggled to defend against the demonic onslaught, and in a critical moment, Crainer arrived, apologizing for his tardiness and swiftly dispatching demons.

"I'm sorry for being late!" Crainer exclaimed, showcasing his prowess to the amazement of the swordsmiths.

"Sir! The village chief is in danger!" a swordsmith urgently reported.

"Is that so? I'm on my way!" Crainer declared, determined to rescue the chief.

Approaching the chief, Crainer warned him not to move due to internal injuries. In a heroic display, Crainer defeated the demon, saving the chief and earning admiration from the swordsmiths.

"I can't stand the needless harm of others," Crainer remarked to himself, revealing a compassionate side.

Amidst this chaos, Typhon unleashed a powerful gust, propelling the friends into the air. Amidst the dust, Birsha and Typhon sought their prey.

Meanwhile, Henwy faced a formidable demon named Dagon, who unveiled a grotesque masterpiece named "Death Throes of the Smiths." The demon showcased mangled bodies of swordsmiths with blades embedded, tormenting Aiden and Alxton with the horrifying sight.

Taking numerous needles to the face and arms, Henwy stood defiantly against the demons, protecting Aiden and Alxton. Dagon taunted him about the impending paralysis from the poison, but Henwy remained resolute.

"Henwy! Your face—" Alxton began, but Henwy, undeterred, ordered them to hide. "I'll hold him off as long as I can."

As the battle intensified, memories flooded Henwy's mind, and he found himself trapped in a watery pot by Dagon. The demon reveled in the thought of suffocating the assassin, considering it "stylish and beautiful."

"I've got to get out of here!" Henwy thought, determination burning within him as he faced the perilous threat of Dagon in the Night Market Arc.