37: Shadows of Apology

As the Regulars continued their training, a heavy atmosphere lingered. Sigils sat alone, wrestling with the weight of his sarcastic words towards the late Henwy. Biffle, sensing Sigils' unease, approached him, opening a door to a conversation that would reveal a hidden truth.

"Hey Sigils. You okay, bud?" Biffle asked, concern etched on his face.

"Yeah. I was just thinking back when Henwy was alive, we'd bully him sarcastically, but I think he takes the sarcasm seriously," Sigils replied, guilt creeping into his words.

Biffle sighed. "We did. But at that point in time, we didn't know," he confessed.

"What are you guys talking about?" Nico interjected, wiping his face with a towel.

"Something you won't understand, Nico," Biffle replied, his gaze dropping.

"Let me guess. You guys are talking about the sarcastic bullying of Henwy, and he takes it seriously," Nico accurately deduced.

"How did you know...?" Sigils asked.

"He told me. And I don't sarcastically bully Henwy because of that," Nico admitted.

"He told you? Why didn't either of you tell us?" Biffle questioned.

"It's a secret Henwy and I kept," Nico replied.

"What secret?" Sigils inquired.

Nico began unraveling a tale from the past, where Henwy's high rank clashed with his lighthearted demeanor, resulting in sarcastic bullying that cut deeper than anyone realized.

Going back into the past, where Henwy acted goofy, by accidentally dropping and chipping the weapon. And in the assassin grounds, middle and low ranks are to treat high ranks with manners, even if it meant sarcastically. But Sigils and Biffle forgot about that rule and made fun of him for it. Henwy was high ranked, but he was disrespected by middle ranks. But Henwy, being kinder than ever, didn't care. But deep in his heart, it hurt so bad, and only Nico knew the depth of his pain.

Nico later approached Henwy at the balcony, as he knew he wasn't feeling okay. He knew this because Henwy would hang out at the balcony whenever he feels down or deep in thought.

"Hey Henwy. You okay?" Nico asked, from the door entrance to the balcony.

Henwy jumped, as if he was startled. Nico apologised for scaring him and walked to where Henwy was.

"Are you okay?" Nico asked again, with concern in his voice.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me." Henwy replied, attempting to reassure Nico, but Nico wasn't convinced.

"Henwy, when you dropped a tool and it got chipped, Sigils and Biffle made fun of you for being goofy when they were middle ranks. And in the assassin ground, if a low or middle rank make fun of a high rank even if it was sarcastic, they'd be severely punished. I know you are not okay." Nico said, putting his hand on Henwy's shoulder.

Henwy sighed. "Fine, you caught me. I'm not." He said, crossing his arms, and resting his face on his arms, deep in thought.

"You have to do something about it," Nico urged, emphasizing the severity of the situation.

But Henwy, loyal to his friends, hesitated. He didn't want Sigils and Biffle to suffer consequences. Nico, however, saw through the façade, realizing the toll it took on Henwy's mental stability.

"You have to do something about it." Nico demanded. "You can't just sit in silence and allow them to bully you sarcastically. It's not right."

"Yes I can. I don't want them to suffer a punishment. They're my friends." Henwy replied.

Nico scoffed. "I get it, you guys are friends, okay, but you can't let that continue, you can become mentally unstable." Nico replied.

The truth spilled out in an emotional outburst. "I AM ALREADY!" Henwy confessed, his vulnerability exposed.

The two stared at each other in silence and never spoke for a whole 5 minutes. Then, Nico spoke. "Do you need any help?"

Henwy stared at the taller man in sadness and nodded slowly. "It's a rough backstory. But I don't wish to tell you." Henwy replied.

Nico understood the situation, and assured him. "It's fine if you don't want to tell me. I will be there whenever you need assurance." He replied.

"But what about Sigils and Biffle?" Henwy asked.

"We'll keep this a secret that we will not tell." Nico declared.

"Alright." Henwy agreed.

"So you knew about this. Why didn't you tell us?!" Sigils asked, angered.

"I wanted you to figure out your mistakes, that's why I didn't tell you," Nico calmly asserted.

The weight of realization hung in the air. Biffle, with newfound understanding, declared, "And we realize it now. We have to apologize to Henwy."

As the Regulars grappled with the echoes of their past actions, an unspoken journey toward redemption began, with apologies waiting to be spoken and forgiveness yearning to heal the wounds of sarcastic words.