60: Marked by Fate

Henwy continued his account of the recent fight, describing how he battled against the poison that had immobilized him. The boy who attempted to aid him faced near-death, triggering the return of his lost memories and an uncontrollable surge of emotions. He paused, deep in thought.

"My heart rate surpassed 250 beats per minute, and my body felt like it was burning, with a temperature likely exceeding 40 degrees Celsius," Henwy explained.

Kate, wide-eyed, exclaimed, "You could move in such a state? That could have been deadly!"

Henwy nodded, saying, "Exactly, it was like being put through a sieve."

"Survival..." he began, but Loaf finished his thought, "...is what separates those who manifest the mark from those who don't?"

"Yeah. Pretty much," Henwy confirmed.

Slogo, incredulous, questioned, "A heart rate over 250 beats per minute... what makes you think your temperature was 40 degrees?"

"Well... once when I was sick at the medical bay, I had a fever, and the thermometer said my temperature was 40, which I felt the same way when the mark appeared," Henwy replied, revealing a surprising correlation.

The group was stunned, even Crainer. I didn't know that... Crainer thought.

"Can it really be that simple?" Jerome pondered. SSundee teased, "I envy your simple mind for thinking that is 'simple.'"

"What?" Jerome asked, and SSundee replied with "Nothing."

Loaf interjected, "However, there is one more thing about the note I saw earlier."

"What is it?" Crainer asked.

"For those who have already manifested the mark, it's too late without exception with all those who manifest the mark," Loaf quoted, deepening the mystery.

SSundee, eager to move on, asked, "That's it? Do we have anything else, or are we just going to talk about life?"

Slogo, seemingly uninterested, declared, "That's it? Okay then, since it's over, I'll excuse myself."

Crainer, unwilling to let the matter rest, retorted, "Don't be such a party pooper! We have to decide what we're gonna do!"

"I'm not involved," Slogo replied, but Crainer persisted.

"What do you mean you're not involved? You don't take being an assassin seriously enough!" Crainer chided, realizing, "Oh! You just want to skip the meeting and start your training?!"

Jerome joined in, pressing Slogo to explain himself. "Explain yourself, Slogoman. As much as I don't know you, I know you speak too little."

"I'm different from you guys," Slogo said, causing frustration among the group.

Now everyone was mad at Slogo's stubbornness. "I'm not buying that! You said the same thing once before!" SSundee exclaimed, annoyed.

"Do you look down on us?!" Crainer questioned, his patience wearing thin. Loaf and Kate attempted to reason with them. "Don't fight!" Kate exclaimed.

"Y-Yeah! Stay calm!" Loaf added, trying to restore order. Ignoring the growing tension, Slogo prepared to leave, prompting Crainer to demand that he stay put. "Stay where you are!"

As Crainer readied to confront Slogo physically, Loaf stepped in to defend him. "Gyah! No, don't!"

Unbeknownst to them, Henwy observed the escalating argument silently. Finally, he slammed the table, commanding everyone's attention.

"Sit. Let us continue talking," Henwy said sternly, arms crossed, introducing an unexpected twist to the intense atmosphere.

"I have a small proposal."

The scene then shifted to another setting where Alxton's condition became a topic of discussion among Ambrew and Sigils.

"Why are you being so noisy?" Someone said. Sigils turned to see Nico covering his ears as he was trying to rest.

"Sorry, Nico, we're done now. Sorry for the noise and—" Sigils apologised, but Biffle barged in with unexpected news, creating chaos among the group.

"AHHHHH! BIFFLE! YOU BROKE THE DOOR!" GarryBlox shrieked.

I want a different room... Nico thought.

"I don't care! I overheard the high ranked assassins and leaders that group training starts now! They said something about strong guys gathering for lessons or something!" Biffle explained, torn at the announcement.

"What's that about?"