32: Shadows of Allegiance; Henwy's backstory

At precisely 8 o'clock, SSundee discovered Henwy waiting for him on the balcony.

"There you are; I thought you'd never come," Henwy remarked, peering down.

"I had to endure your 'student,' and even if I didn't want to, she'd drag me here," SSundee replied.

"So, you've figured out Lanceypooh is the person under the mask of the Shadowcaster?" Henwy inquired.

SSundee remained silent, nodding slowly. "I'm sorry we had to keep this from you, Ian. We knew you couldn't handle the situation," Henwy apologized.

"It's fine. I had to know it anyway," SSundee sighed.

As a heavy silence enveloped the surroundings, SSundee broke it. "You know, Henwy, I've realized you aren't your normal, cheerful self. What's up with you?" SSundee asked.

"When I saw the past, it led me to the time I wanted to join the assassins," Henwy revealed.

Henwy's life was far from the happy facade he portrayed. He endured bullying from three classmates, subjected to cruel pranks that left him humiliated.

In the dimly lit corridor, the atmosphere was tense as two bullies forcefully pinned Henwy against the cold, unforgiving wall. The menacing silhouette of a third bully emerged, clutching a bottle adorned with a toxic chemical logo. Henwy's pleas echoed, but fell on deaf ears as the liquid cascaded over him. Laughter erupted, "It's just water, you silly!" mocked the lead bully, and the chorus of amusement from his friends followed.

As the bullies released their grip, Henwy's dread lingered, knowing this torment would continue. They sauntered away, laughter echoing, leaving Henwy slumped against the wall, his spirit dampened.

The next day, Henwy gulped, walking down the corridors of the school, clutching his books tightly. He looked left and right, hoping not to see them.

Yet, fate intervened as he approached his locker, becoming the unwilling participant in a cruel prank. Shoved inside and locked in, he could only endure the laughter that accompanied his isolation.

Not long after, his locker door opens, and Henwy shielded himself, expecting a punch from the bullies. But instead, he heard a complain.

"Seriously?! Henry's got shoved in a locker this time!" A familiar voice said. Henwy looked up, to see Wisp, better called Kit, one of his only trusted friends who help defend him from his bullies.

"Jeez, they can't catch a break!" Another familiar voice says. Henwy turned to his right, and it was Jagster, better called Jago, another trusted friend of Henwy.

"You okay mate?" Another familiar voice says, offering his hand. Henwy turns to his left to see ShadowApples, better called Billy.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine." Henwy replied, grabbing Billy's hand and getting up.

"Those idiots have gone too far. We've got to do something about this." Wisp suggested.

"There's nothing we can do. Their parents are serial killers, and if we try messing with them, we'd probably be dead." Henwy replied.

Jagster sighs. "He's right, Kit."

"That's not gonna stop me from trying!" Wisp declared, walking away.

"We're coming with you, Kit!" Billy replied

"That's dangerous!" Henwy exclaimed, attempting to stop them.

"Relax, Hen, we're assassins, we know how to do this." Jagster reassured.

The atmosphere shifted when an announcement echoed through the school, revealing the tragic fate of Wisp, Jagster, and ShadowApples. Shock and rage surged through Henwy, intensifying his desire for retribution.

But in perfect timing, the bullies walked up to him and teased him for having weak and dumb friends.

Henwy growled, and punched a bully in the face, making the other two recoil. They attempted to punch him, but Henwy kicks one of them with his foot, and he lands at the other side of the corridor, his head bleeding, and the other bully trembled in fear, apologising for all the things he did, but Henwy didn't want to hear it.

He grabbed his hair, and hits him at the locker multiple times, causing him to faint and bleed out. Everyone in the corridor looked at him in fear, and Henwy bared his teeth, clenched his fists, and barked,

"WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!"

Everyone recoils and pretends nothing happens, and continued their business.

The school's principal, Philza, recognizing Henwy's resilience, extended an invitation to join the assassins, marking a turning point in his life.

"That's how you joined the assassins. I see..." SSundee acknowledged.

"I wouldn't say that. But that's another story," Henwy replied.

"Mind telling me?" SSundee inquired.

"I don't want you to react strongly. Maybe when I'm reborn, then I'll tell you," Henwy responded.

"Are you alright now?" Henwy asked, changing the subject.

"I have to be. Lance is my enemy, after all, though we have some misunderstandings. It's true that we're enemies, especially after the way he ranted about me and Crainer," SSundee explained.

"In fact, Lance was the reason why Crainer died."