The kiss

The next day, I noticed he had also spent the night there. It seemed he had given up on returning to his room after I blacked out. I found it endearing and did my best to get up without disturbing his sleep. I tiptoed to the bathroom to freshen up.

By the time I had my coffee, he appeared with a grumpy expression.

"Good morning," I greeted.

"Good morning! How are we this morning?" I asked, smiling.

"With a bit of neck pain. I think I slept in a bad position," he replied.

"It was for a good cause. I really needed that comforting presence. Thanks."

"Aargh..." he said as he stretched. "You're welcome."

I smiled, and when it was time to say goodbye, I approached him and cupped his face. Playfully, I leaned in and planted an innocent kiss on his lips. It was my way of expressing gratitude for him sleeping beside me the previous night, without any ulterior motives. Knowing Cesar's reserved nature, I expected him to be taken aback by the gesture, and I wanted to add a bit of playful mischief. I had to stand on my tiptoes to reach him, but I succeeded. Cesar had skin that smelled like almonds, reminiscent of cinnamon. He was the kind of man whose clean-shaven face still retained a hint of roughness. I caught him off guard, and as I kissed him, he drew in a breath with raised eyebrows. He was momentarily stunned and didn't move, while I grabbed my bag and left the house.