Don't let me catch you

After another test, Cesar returned with a deep sigh. Seeing him well, I felt myself returning to normal. I felt human again.

"Eeeei..." he said, passing his hand over my face. "I'm glad you're back."

"I feel relieved. Let's go home."

Once back, Rony welcomed us at the door.

"Oh! So the monster is gone!" I just smiled. "You gave me a good run, young lady."

"Don't let me catch you," I joked.

Later, Cesar came to talk to me.

"Lilian, what happened was intentional. I wanted to see what it was like."

"Did you like what you saw?" I asked.

"To be honest, no," Cesar replied dryly.

"I was protecting you," I argued.

He pondered for a while, then confessed:

"I feel suffocated, irritated. Just knowing that vampires did this to you..."

"It was the only way to save you," I tried to explain, though I knew it would be in vain.

It was then that I remembered my despair during the days he disappeared, until I finally found him.

"And I hate knowing that I scared you so much that I led you to this. Can't you see how much all this is killing me? That's why I can't stay here, Ballerina."

The way he called me chilled my soul. He was about to say something, but I interrupted him:

"I'm not your Ballerina. I never have been, and I never will be. I'm sorry I suffocated you. You are free to do whatever you want, even if it kills me."

So I got up from the table and was about to leave, but he held my hand.

"Wait."

"There is nothing more to talk about."

I went to my room and sat on the floor with my back to the door. I didn't want to see him leave.