Protection

That night, Vince held me close and said, "I'll protect you, miss. I'm not sure from what yet, but I just know I will." His words stirred memories of Cesar and everything that had unfolded until then. Drawing nearer to Vince, I buried my face, overcome with emotions. "Hey," he gently lifted my chin, his concern evident. Tears welled up in my eyes as I grappled with the realization that I was no longer safe, and the only person I trusted to shield me had turned me away. "Hey, what's wrong?" Vince implored, refusing to let me withdraw. "Lilly, what's troubling you? Tell me."

"I don't feel safe," I confessed, on the verge of tears.

"What are you afraid of?" Vince inquired softly, sensing my distress.

Before I could articulate my fears, he preempted my anguish with a reassuring kiss. "I'll keep you safe."

By morning, it felt as though we had fallen in love.

That evening, Vince hosted a party at his house, attended by everyone, including Markus, who observed me from a distance, seemingly awaiting an opportunity to approach. But my bond with Vince was now undeniable, and wherever he went, he took me with him. Amidst the revelry, Vince ushered me into the same room where he had once spent an entire afternoon with Markus. As Vince gently pushed me inside and shut the door, Markus observed from afar, his intentions unclear.