Lilly's Intermission - Unfortunately, I must explain

Hey there.

Just to clarify, Joe wasn't immortal. Never had been. There wasn't a hint of immortality in his body. Joe was just an ordinary guy, a "regular Joe," as the Americans would say. He was entirely mortal and, at the same time, the great love of my life.

When our daughter became immortal, she couldn't accept it. Not for a moment did she believe that her father wouldn't become immortal like she and I were. Some convincing soul must have led her to believe that it was all a matter of choice. This indignation ultimately led to her losing her existence.

Joe fell apart after that. Years later, he took his own life. I witnessed it. I was there.

I called for help, had to answer the attendant's questions about his vital signs. I met with the doctors, listened to their statements. I dressed him, placing our chain on his left hand, the one closest to his heart.

During the funeral, I couldn't help but notice how distorted his face was. It undeniably belonged to Joe, but it was twisted. His mouth seemed contorted, as if the medication he had taken had caused him pain. No matter how hard we tried, his jaw remained slightly askew, and his lips were compressed. Strangely, his lips opened a bit on the right side.

I remember it vividly because I stood there for hours, contemplating that distorted face. So, there was no way that the immortal being I saw on top of the building could have been Joe. Joe was dead and buried, and I had followed every detail. Yet, the resemblance was truly striking.