Don't worry, Sarah, I'll be the best boyfriend you've ever had

After those recent events, I found myself completely isolated. Without the vampires, clueless about Cesar's whereabouts, and frankly, losing my patience with Ian, I ended up spending the entire weekend holed up at home, tending to mundane household chores.

Being stuck in that massive desert house felt suffocating, lonely, and downright terrifying. It was almost as if the house staff were playing a game of hide-and-seek with me—I never caught sight of them, yet everything was magically taken care of. I'd leave for work and return to find the pantry restocked and dinner prepared. The eerie silence only amplified my sense of isolation.

Loneliness gripped me tightly within those walls. One night, seeking solace, I ended up sleeping in Cesar's bed. Strangely, it brought some relief from the crushing loneliness, but as days passed, the emptiness returned with a vengeance.

Despite Cesar's grumpiness, I found myself yearning for his company. Simply having someone around, even if it was just to share the silence or watch TV together, would have been a comfort. Recalling moments with Cesar on the couch sparked an idea—I slipped into one of his old t-shirts and lay down in the living room, trying to fill the void. But the weight of his absence hit me hard, and tears welled up, though I hastily wiped them away. If he was gone, I needed to accept it. I stayed there until sleep mercifully took me.

One day, consumed by despair, the sheer agony of solitude drove me to the brink of madness. The lack of human contact was pushing me over the edge.

In a moment of desperation, I made a rash decision: to seek out Ian.

When I timidly knocked on his apartment door, I was still uncertain of my own intentions. It was desperation that led me there. Ian's puzzled expression upon opening the door, coupled with his hesitant acknowledgment of my presence, only added to my inner turmoil.

"Sarah?" he asked, increasing my anguish because the man I turned to for help didn't even know my real name.

"Um, can I... stay here with you for a bit?" I awkwardly mumbled, unsure of what I truly wanted.

"Of course, come in," he replied, sensing my distress. As I stepped inside, he noticed my troubled demeanor and asked, "Are you okay? Something happened?"

I brushed off his concern with a vague response, "Oh, it's nothing... I just didn't want to be alone tonight."

"Take a seat. I'm just finishing up a report..." he trailed off, gesturing for me to make myself at home.

As he returned to his work, I switched on the television, trying to alleviate the tension. Gradually, the awkwardness dissipated, replaced by a sense of ease.

"I love this series," Ian remarked, attempting to bridge the gap between us.

As the evening wore on, conversation flowed, and Ian offered me a glass of wine. However, things escalated physically, stirring echoes of Cesar's voice in my mind "At least he's paying for your services.", reminding me of my own vulnerability.

"Wait," I interjected, gently pushing Ian away.

"What's wrong?" he asked, confusion etched across his face.

"I... I don't want this to be just about... sex," I stammered, lacking the courage to express myself fully. It was the only explanation I could muster at the time, albeit poorly formulated.

"Do you... want to be in a relationship?" he inquired.

"I just don't want it to be solely physical," I clarified, attempting to convey my true feelings.

"You want more," he surmised, jumping to conclusions.

"Or just... something more meaningful," I tried to correct him, but he interrupted me.

"Don't worry, Sarah, I'll be the best boyfriend you've ever had," he declared, kissing me fervently, until one thing led to another, and we ended up in bed.

The next morning, as Ian insisted on driving me home, I couldn't shake the weight of my own cowardice. As I returned to my empty house, overwhelmed with regret, I couldn't help but blame Cesar for the predicament I found myself in.