Chaos

Days later, Cesar appeared. We had so much to say, but we lacked the courage. I started talking about work and the analyses I was doing. It was late afternoon, and it was cooler outside than at home. We then decided to talk while walking around the surroundings towards the desert. The idea was not to go too far, just enough to be able to eventually vent without anyone listening. I had so much to say.

As we walked through the desert, the sound of approaching horses caught our attention. People passed by there all the time, so it wasn't strange. The problem is that they were immortals.

We soon saw a group of six men coming towards us. They brought nets and threw them at us.

"Run!" Cesar said as he stayed to delay them a little. We weren't very far from home. If I could get close enough, the staff could help us defend ourselves.

Two men followed me on horses as I fled. They tried to throw the net once, but I managed to escape. Then one of the men approached. I looked at him and saw it was Joe. I stopped running immediately and looked at him, trying to understand. He started to surround me with his horse. The other man also surrounded me.

"Why are you different?" I trembled when I heard his voice ask in the local language. My heart almost exploded and I immediately smiled. His voice confirmed he was Joe. I looked at him and, smiling, I replied:

"Mother."

He looked at the other knight and smiled. Then I felt a strong blow to my head and I blacked out.

I woke up sitting in a cage that was absurdly uncomfortable. "Cell" could also be a term used here, but "cage" fits more to what really imprisoned me. On my right side, about 3 or 4 meters away, was Cesar in the same condition. We were in a camp in the middle of the desert, where armed men were going in and out of a single tent. I don't know how long that camp had been there, but it didn't appear to be recent. There was a lot of structure around, small tents, a covered place that seemed to be the kitchen. Posts and ropes were everywhere.

"Are you ok?" asked Cesar. This caught the attention of one of the men, who got up and went over to him to tell him to shut up. I was so angry that I replied:

"Yes, I am!" Then the same man looked at me and was coming towards me, but was stopped by the one who was with Joe when I was captured. He came out of the tent and motioned for the man to stay where he was. He came to me and crouched down in front of me.

"It took you a long time to wake up. What race are you?" he asked.

"Same as his," I said, still angry.

"Must just be lazy, then. I'll tell Chaos that. Maybe your energy will only weaken him."

Completely ignoring the threat he made and associating that Chaos was Joe's new name, I immediately asked:

"Yes, where is he? I wanted to talk to him."

"Why?"

"I know him."

He frowned a little and asked in a serious tone:

"From where?"

"We were married once."

He was astonished for a few minutes and then laughed... Soon there were long, loud laughs.

"Ah, that's new," he said between laughs. "I liked!"

Then he got up and left.

"Happy now?" asked Cesar from his cage. The man just gave him a dirty look.

They held us captive there all night. Nothing changed much. The men came and went, none of them talked to us. The one who spoke to me seemed to be the leader. Joe didn't seem to be there.